Let's Be Realistic. Lose 20 Pounds in 14 Days!

Detox, or detoxification, diets are one of the popular diet plans these days. There are many different detox diets out there. Some detox diets are hard to follow, and involve drinking unpleasant mixtures. Good news! Not the Lemon Detox Diet! Lemon detox diet consists of fresh water, pure lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and natural maple syrup. The acid in the lemons assists the cleansing process, and the cayenne pepper helps speed up metabolism promoting circulation and a greater release of toxins from our bodies. Lemon detox diet was largely promoted by singer Beyonce, who was quoted as saying, "I lived on water, cayenne pepper and maple syrup for 14 days. It was tough; everyone was eating and I was dying." But, in two weeks she reportedly lost 20 pounds. beyonce-maple-syrup.jpg

Sounds like a good diet plan, huh? But...you better know...

Beyonce regained the weight soon thereafter and in her interviews, she warned dieters away from the Lemon detox diet. According to Diekman, past president of The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, weight loss occurs on most of the detox diet plans because they are so low in calories. She said "These fad diet detox plans are nothing more than a quick fix and not recommended for weight loss by registered dietitians." When your calorie intake is dramatically reduced, you will most likely to lose weight. But it may also cause all kinds of health problems, including low energy, low blood sugar and muscle loss. Thus, risks outweigh any benefits, and ultimately, detox diets are not an effective way to lose weight. They are potentially dangerous. For more information on detox diets...Click here.

yuck! Eating only lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and maple syrup for 2 weeks does not sound enjoyable. It is interesting to me that despite all the research saying that fad detox diets are not good for you, people continue to use them!

I will never understand why people put themselves through such agony to make their physical appearance more attractive. Your diet consisting of water, lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and maple syrup for two weeks is the last thing I want to do. People need to listen to the professionals when they say diets like these are not good for your body and not recommended.

What is the idea behind detox diets? Explain just a little bit.

This was really interesting to read! The fact that people gain all the weight back after they finish the detox diet is something that no one really knows. I feel like this is common today with the different detox diets or other crazy diets that people actuality think will work. I like that Beyonce warned people against these diets and told people what actually happened to her. I feel like a lot of times the infomercials and other advertisements for diets like this don't address the health risks or the possibility of gaining all the weight back.