Our Selective Memory

Throughout the semester, we have had our ears filled with information on the broad field of psychology. Though all the information was interesting in its own specific way, I was intrigued by a simple concept that psychologists have developed on memory. I found it astonishing that our memory has its own pecking order.filecabinet.jpg Basically our brain determines what is most important in our lives and tends to remember those events more vividly than others. I see it as our brain being a filing cabinet with only so much space. As we age, the amount capacity of our cabinet grows and we are able to access more information. However, as we grow old, our brain tends to filter the information that is most important and hold onto it. Since we cannot hold all the information we have absorbed at one time, our brain filters the information and gets rid of the facts that appear to be useless. To me, this process is astonishing. This information will undoubtedly not be erased from my memory within the next 5 years.

Thank you for the interesting blog. I totally agree with your opinion. Although I am still young, I have a similar experience with the selective memory. I had served in army for 2 years, and it was really though. However, I forgot terrible memories and remember good things. I am sure that good memories impact more to me and my brain keep these memories.

Selective memory is a very interesting topic. Our ability to have a selective memory is both amazing and important. The fact that we have the ability to focus on the memories that we want to and forget some of the ones that we don't is good for our emotional health. I know that I try to focus on the positive memories and changes in my life instead of dwelling on the negative ones.

Why is filtering information useful for memory? Is there really a limit to our memory?

I completely agree with you that human memory is a fascinating topic. I have been wondering, ever since i saw the movie limitless, if it would be possible to stimulate the brain so that it can retain more information without losing it to short term memory loss. This would be especially valuable know as we are quickly approaching finals week.

I also find this section of the class on memory very interesting. I like how you used the growing cabinet as an example of how we gain more information every day, ditching that which is useless to us.