Psych 1001 Words of Wisdom

Many find psychology interesting because it's just like a quiz in a girlie magazine. Lots of people love talking about themselves, and we also find it interesting to learn about ourselves. Psychology 1001 has been one of those classes that I have brought up very often in my daily conversations throughout the semester. The last thing I remember saying was when I told my best friend that you don't sleep as well when you're drunk. I also brought up correlation vs. causation when my mom told me that weed makes you late. I don't think she quite understood the concept. I just spoke with some women on the bus today about language and told them that the American school system is terrible with language because the best time to learn a language if you want to speak it like a native is before age 7. Beyond the random facts, the idea that most psychology questions don't have a yes or no answer has really translated into other areas of my life. Mainly in the book's section about development, I have learned that the baby's behavior affects the parents' behavior, and the parents' behavior affects the baby's behavior, and most social problems don't have one cause.

This is an interesting post. I have also started to bring up topics from psychology class during my daily life. There is a lot of useful information that we have learned and I like to quote it during arguments like you did with your mom and your friend.

Many of the points you raise are interesting, specifically how many people do not understand correlation vs causation. I was talking with one of my friends the other day, and he seemed to have trouble grasping the concept, just like your mother.

Interesting post, I especially like how you are able to translate what you learn in class to the "real world" as this is a lot more difficult to do in other subjects, such as calculus. One of the things that I will take away from this class that will prove to be useful in my everyday life is the effects that drugs and alcohol have on the both our mind and body.

Sounds like you learned a lot!

I agree that there is a lot I will take away from this class and I am happy for that. My favorite part is when you related this class to a "girlie magazine" because it is so true. The more people get to gossip about themselves or others makes the class so much more fun and interesting.

I am a marketing major and as such do a lot of psychological research on consumers. Believe me when I say that no one understand she concept of correlation versus causation, businesses who don't learn this lesson analyze their data wrong and lose billions every year. I found your post very interesting and hope that everyone can take from this class that oversimplification of problems can be disastrous when you don't consider all possible hypotheses.

I've also found a lot of the material we've covered to be both interesting and useful in our every-day lives. Some of the most important parts to us as students are sections on sleep and nutrition and their effects on the ability to learn and comprehend. I'll definitely keep this in mind as I continue my college years!