Rock A By Baby

There is no question that the amount of sleep we receive has a larger impact on our bodies. Sleep deprivation can lead to so many problems, not just physical, but psychological as well. All the information learned on sleeping during my Psych 1001 class is definitely going to stick with me for the rest of my life. The emphasis put on a good nights rest intrigued me. I had no idea that not getting enough sleep could cause so much harm to ourselves. Before retaining this information I was only getting about 4-5 hours of sleep on average. sleep.jpgWhat I read was that a grown adult should be getting about 7-9 hours of sleep in order to stay healthy. This came as a shock to me! Some studies even say that trying to function while you are tired is equivalent to be legally drunk. Sleep deprivation can lead to weight and memory issues, since sleep is when our mind and bodies have time to recuperate. Needless to say since I gained more knowledge about sleep I have tried to change my sleeping habits. It is amazing how much one more hour of sleep can change how you function daily. Give a try, more sleep is vital!

I'd definitely agree on the importance of sleep. I always find then when I get less than 7 hours of sleep I'm tired and grumpy most of the day. Oddly, I also find when I get TOO much sleep, 10+ hours, I feel groggy. I'd be curious to know if there have been any studies done on oversleeping.

I agree 100% with this! I even notice it with myself when I get tired after only 6-7 hours of sleep how loopy I feel. Although it may seem hard sometimes to not get ample amounts of sleep, the importance of sleep is something I learned from this class as well.

I am also one of those people who receive about 3-4 hours of sleep a night. Although I would like to blame that on other people, it is my fault. I tend to stay up procrastinating very late every night saying that I'll do my homework in the morning. Then right before I go to bed, I realize how much homework I didn't do and I have to wake up way earlier than I planned. It's kind of scary looking at back at my daily life in more of a macro view. I plan on changing up my sleeping schedule in the near future. In addition, I can completely agree with your comment about how being tired is equal to being legally drunk. I have encountered this while driving home from school, which is roughly a four and a half hour drive. While driving, I constantly felt like I was woozy and that I was going to sleep. I now know never to do that again.

I'm glad you've been able to get more sleep!

Sleep deprivation can impair so many everyday functions from driving to learning and even and communicating with other people. After a long week with many late nights it can be difficult to stay fully alert while driving, your comment about functioning while you're tired being equivalent to being drunk is true and shocking.

I recently pulled two all nighters for school and found that staying awake for that long literally makes a noticeable difference in the quality of my work. Looking at my projects a few days later, I wonder if it would have been a better idea to just go to bed! I generally get about 7 hours a sleep a night, so not sleeping at all was a big change for me and something I was not physically prepared for. Not only did staying up all night render me incapable of doing anything the next day, but it affected me for several days following. Getting enough sleep at night is definitely important! Unfortunately for college students, we often don't get nearly enough!