The Science of Arousal

I had never really stopped to focus on the science behind many of the successful advertisements for large companies. In the next 5 years I will remember our discussion on the study of behavior, stimuli and responses, and how advertisements become so effective.
Beer Ad.jpg
Our discussion section looked at how the beer product associated with a beautiful woman creates arousal, which motivates people to buy the beer; not because they want to roll around in beer bottle caps, but because they want to experience the excitements and arousal that they associate with that product.
Plastic Surgery Ad
By using an image of an attractive woman with a "perfectly constructed" nose, people who looking for a way to adjust their physical appearance feel a drive and desire to look "more attractive" and will go out and use the plastic surgery service to achieve a happy response that they think will result in a higher self-esteem.
While not all ads use attractive men and women to create arousal or excitement in the people viewing these ads, the science behind advertisements' use of stimuli to result in conditioned and unconditioned responses is fairly basic and spans across most successful ads. I will remember our study of behavior 5 years from now because even if the sources and forms that ads come in will change, the science behind their images will not.
Click here for more interesting ads

This is a great concept that probably has more influence on our lives than any of us realized before it was brought to our attention in this Psychology class. It seems like a type of classical conditioning that influences us to associate the said behaviors in advertisements with the product being advertised. Great topic, and I really enjoyed the link it was very interesting.

I think that you made some extremely interesting points in your above blog. I find it interesting to think that people actually purchase these products featured in the advertisements because of how distracting the advertisements are themselves. In a retail merchandising class, I learned that these advertisements arouse people, but the actual products dont do any better themselves because people are distracted by the sexual nature of the ad.

Most people are reluctant to admit that attraction has to do a lot with how good looking a person is, but it does! And that goes hand-in-hand with advertisements and arousal. I agree with the comment above. I don't think there is a correlation between arousal and actual sales of the product.

You mentioned how beer commercials use attractive women to advertise to men which I think is an excellent example. It's sad that almost any man could tell you that they know they only include the attractive women in ads to target them, yet it still works on men. We are hardwired a specific way, and as much as we wish to deny it we can't. I will also remember this topic because I found it interesting, and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

I thought that this was a very interesting topic as well. It's really crazy how advertisements work, like you mentioned, it's not that we want to be laying on a bunch of bottle caps, but the arousal that we get from seeing the beer associated with that advertisement leads some to want to purchase that brand. Look all around, everywhere we go we are presented with advertisements that want us to feel a certain way when looking at there products, making us want to go out and get that item or at least remember their brand. This is another topic that I will certainly remember in future experiences.

I completely agree with this. When I watch ads and see ads with beautiful women, I feel more attracted to buying the product no matter how bad the product is. Most people strive to have the best or look the best with is why advertisement tries to sell us these qualities.

This is a really interesting topic because now that we know how advertising companies subliminally influence us, it becomes much easier to view these ads with more objectivity. I will definitely remember this topic in 5 years as well!

I think this is particularly dangerous when you consider the unconscious mind. We are not always aware of why we are making decisions, or if that we are making decisions! No wonder why so much money is spent on advertising. I was in marketing for 8 years. I tried to explain that tracking the response from an ad was almost impossible because people may not respond right away, or if they do they may not respond in the way the ad asked....it all has to do with capturing mind share. Anyhow...it makes me feel uneasy when I think about it.

Upon reading this blog post I began checking over a few advertisements, and not surprisingly I found that the majority of them use sex appeal to sell their products. I think this is a very dangerous trend because it may cause people, predominately women, to take unnecessary, even harmful, measures in order to make themselves look more like the actors they see on tv.

Do you really think the purpose of the second is desire for a "perfect" nose? It seems more likely that it was intended for humor... I could be wrong though...

I am taking a class that studies advertising and the subliminal messages it sends to us as a whole and what it says about our society and I think this blog touches on the connections that are underlying advertisements and who we want to be. I never knew how deep that connection was but it is truly what advertising is all about and I find that shocking.