Wait, I Thought That??

For blog #3 I chose to take an Implicit Association Test (IAT). I was asked play the role of consumer and first looked over an advertisement about a fictitious laundry detergent called Softate. While observing the product, I noticed certain things that as a consumer would be turned off by; such examples would be like that Softate is "almost as effective as the other well known brands" or that it is "packaged cheaply so it can be the same price as the other guys." To me this was a product I would never consider buying, so when the questions about whether I would buy the product came up I answered as such. Following the short opinion of product section, there was a matching portion where I was asked to sort pictures of detergents with a Softate label or a Other Detergents label. This task was followed with a sorting of adjectives like marvelous and glorious or awful and unpleasant into the side of "Softate" or "Other Detergents" categories. Then halfway through the sorting, the sides of the categories were swapped, and i continued to sort the pictures and adjectives. Once the sorting was complete a couple more questions were asked to me and I responded with dislike towards Softate. The test was then complete.
LaundryDetergent_hi.jpg
When I went to see the results of the test, I was shocked to see that I "showed little or no opinion towards Softate." Throughout the whole test I had adamantly stated that I would never buy the product. However, the test determined otherwise. How could this be? It turns out that my neutrality was from an unconscious response to the sorting portion of the test. Though I may have thought I knew what I thought, I actually didn't. Confusing right? Well IATs test this phenomenon of how people don't know their own minds with tests like the one I took. Some factors of why something is thought consciously are because of things like social, political, economic restrictors. Unconscious things are tricky business, and it is difficult to think of where something that isn't thought by your conscious comes from. This is a great way to checkup on your consciousness, so go take a test for yourself and see if you think you know what you think here.

When I take surveys such as the one you completed, I also feel as though I know the outcome of my answers. However, after hearing you recall how the results of this survey did not match your predicted response, I begin to question my own judgement and have more faith in the validity of tests measuring our unconscious thoughts.

This is a really interesting way to test our unconsciousness. I have heard how many surveys are geared to sort through biases and certain unconscious prejudices. It's great to try and do an IAT in order to see just our tricky our minds really are.

Your blog was very interesting. It is crazy what our minds can really do. I have taken many surveys and thought I knew what they outcome would be, but it always turned out to be different. It is very interesting to know the reason behind it now.

This is a great way to explain the tests you took. I have read a few other blogs attempting to understand the test but couldn't until now. You also gave great insight on our unconscious perjudices. I would be interested in a follow up link on a study related to this!

How do you think this compares to other IAT tests? Would it be different if you were discussing topics like racism or sexism?

My favorite blog so far! I was in marketing for 8 years (rural area, small company). I started to analyze all sorts of marketing/advertising and just got fed up. Being a female, I started to wonder about the beauty industry and how much money they get us to spend in hopes to look like an air brushed magazine ad. Yet, being away of the advertising schemes I would still find myself strolling down the beauty isles at Target. this makes me wonder what kind on subconscious hold these companies have over us. It's a little freighting to learn that we have no control over out minds. Our minds really do control us, but we don't even realize it - yet we do. Lol. Anyhow - like your post and it got me thinking once again about the sins of advertising. :o

Interesting blog, and it does want me to take the test. How fascinating to be thinking one thing while taking the test, and then the results to show the opposite. Great blog.

This blog was very good. I am really glad that you put a link to the site to take the tests. I went and took one and was very surprised at the outcome.

Interesting topic, I was skeptical at first of tests measuring unconscious thoughts however after reading your blog, I gained respect for them. I now want to try one of these tests to learn more about the unconscious.

This is so interesting! I was interested to read your second portion because I was expecting your results to be much different than they were. However, this does make sense because in your mind you are thinking one thing, but that can not always be conveyed perfectly on a survey. In marketing research we learn that surveys are difficult to determine why people do what they do and think in a certain way. This blog is a perfect example of that!