Upside Down Obama

Our textbook starts off by addressing the most prominent stereotype of psychology: it's all just common sense. The authors argue that psychology is actually quite challenging, thank you very much, and there are many instances where our common sense will trick us. This is why pssychology is the science (keyword SCIENCE).

Next, the textbook delves into the dangers of pseudoscience and explores a list of logical fallacy, which I find entertaining because I come across so many of them in daily conversation. Some days I'll even go so far as to use a few myself. ;)

After this, Lilienfeld debriefs us on six scientific principles for ensuring that psychology remains a SCIENCE. A brief-ish history of psychology follows and leads into a discussion of psychology today - the professions, the debates, the applications.

In conclusion, Chapter 1 is a pretty typical introduction to introductory psychology.

As for a visual to support what I have written, I think this picture does a pretty quality job:
photo (6).JPG
...or maybe I just think it's way too funny.

Psychology is often referred to as just being common sense or easy or not being a scientific field. All of these are very wrong, as you stated. Psychology is a much more involved field of study then most of the general public knows, or gives credit to, and we got a good introduction to this throughout the semester. I also thought the upside down pictures of President Obama were really cool. I initially didn't see anything wrong with them, and was surprised when I flipped my book upside down!

I completely agree with the notion that psychology is a scientific field, however, I disagree with you about common sense. I have found throughout reading this textbook that often times our initial response to something proves to be the correct one. For example judging people by their appearance is quite accurate most times (obviously there are exceptions to this).

Psychology is a scientific field, but I feel that psychology is a bunch of hypothesis and theories. Many famous psychologist contradict each other because there is no way to prove how each person thinks. The uniqueness of humans is why I believe that psychology is not completely a scientific field, because other scientific fields make discoveries that psychology doesn't.

What are your thoughts about how this connects outside of class? What are some examples? Outside readings?

I found this picture of Obama that was shown in chapter one very interesting because it made me realize how much our mind can fool us when trying to make things right. I find my mind tricking myself many times out of reality, such as those word scramblers where certain letters are rearranged but you can still read the sentence perfectly and when you hear someone say something the way it was meant to be said instead of how they actually said it.

There are many ways for your common sense to trick you but I would argue that it is possibly right more times than it is wrong. Even psychology attempts to place people into large groups and then leaves the minorities as "outliers". As much as I do rely on science every day there is a reason it has helped us survive for this long.

Don't put your hand in the fire, because it is hot, Duh!