Snape, Snape, Severus Snape...

Best blog ever.
My personality analysis of the lover of Lily Evans, the victim of the Marauders, the saver of the wizarding world, the object of my affection, and "the bravest man" Harry Potter ever knew:

boggartsnape.jpg
Look how agreeable he looks!

Openness: At first glance slash meeting, the average human being would not describe Severus Snape as particularly "Open to New Experiences." However, by the end of The Half-Blood Prince, we readers have realized that Snape is an intellectually curious, inventive, and powerful wizard/. After all, a Closed wizard could hardly have attained a vast enough knowledge of the Dark Arts to win a duel against three Hogwarts professors; save Albus Dumbledore, Katie Bell, Draco Malfoy, and countless others' lives; and successfully pull the wool over Lord Voldemort's eyes.
Conscientiousness: If Severus Snape is anything, he is careful (aside from situations involving Harry, Sirius, or a challenge of cowardice - in those instances, reckless might be a better adjective). Only an intensely vigilant, calculating, and conscientious individual could have successfully earned and kept the trust of both the goodest and the evilest wizards in the wizarding world (AND kept his true loyalties a secret) until the very end.
Extraversion: I'm sure by now that you've sensed a very defensive pattern in this analysis. That ends here. Snape was one introverted dude.
Agreeableness: "Sociable and easy to get along with." ...BAHAHAHA. Snape, easy to get along with. That's a good one.
Neuroticism: I lied. If Severus Snape is anything, he is neurotic... though perhaps only on the outside. It's true that he's eternally depicted as tense, moody, and socially maladjusted, but there are only a handful of times in the series where Snape is beset by feelings of anxiety, compulsiveness, or obsessiveness. He would view such feelings as weaknesses and refuse to be hindered by them.

I too am a big fan of Harry Potter, so I really liked your unique approach to this blog. All people, even fictional characters, can be described by the Big 5 personality traits, as you showed above, so well, with Severus Snape. Great post, it was funny, enjoyable, and accurate to what we learned in psychology 1001 this semester!

I also found this to be an entertaining and unique way to write your blog entry. I think that it is telling that most great movies do such a good job of creating characters that you can go quite in depth on each of the big 5 personality traits. A few of these such characters that I can think of off of the top of my head are Tony Montana from Scarface, Andy Dufresne from Shawshank Redemption, and Vito Corleone from The Godfather.

I thought it was very fun reading about your approach to describe Snape. It really shows how you can characterize people by the Big 5 personality traits. Even if the fictional character is non-human, you can still characterize them with the big 5 personality traits. Good job!

I like your analysis of personality here.

I love this post! However, though I mostly agree with your analysis of Snape's neuroticism, I'm not sure if I agree with your statement that Snape wouldn't be anxious, compulsive or obsessive. He probably does see them as weaknesses, but I don't think that means he doesn't have any of those traits. He was clearly anxious and compulsive about Lily's impending death or he wouldn't have gone to Dumbledore for help. And if he wasn't at least a little obsessed (with Lily) he wouldn't have worked to protect Harry as much as he did. Though, I suppose it is possible that he acted that way because of the situation and not because of his true personality.

I love Harry potter and i have to admit despite my overwhelming hatred of him I came to respect him by the end of the series. I do agree with previous comments, to be as neurotic about lily Evans as he was he would have had to be a bit anxious and neurotic as revealed in his flashbacks. Waiting outside the griffindor common room all night, his obsessive jealously over James potter etc. these are examples of neurotic behavior that goes beyond love into obsession.

I like that you used something we can all relate to, the Harry Potter series to explain the levels that form attractiveness. It provides an easier way to learn the material and as we learned, a more effective way as well. Good work!