General Concepts

I think that the psychology concept that I am most likely to remember in five years is just the basic concept of being skeptical and thinking scientifically. Such concepts as hindsight bias and confirmation bias are two that specifically stand out to me. Since learning these ideas, I have already noticed myself and others unintentionally seeing only what we want to see and ignoring other information. I think that just being aware of this phenomenon can help to prevent it. If I can keep this concept in mind, I feel that I will be a better scientist and make fewer mistakes. Hindsight bias is a concept that I immediately felt the importance of. I think that I will remember this concept because of its great practicality. Every day we all hear of people who "knew that was going to happen" and "could've told you that was coming". After learning of this concept my reply is simple: "Hindsight is 20/20>". The general skepticism I learned such as falsifiability, reliability, and Occam's razor will also be remembered.
These concepts are simple, yet crucial to any logical approach. Many scientific theories hinge on these concepts. The healthy skepticism that these concepts bring can make or break a theory.

Bystander Effect

Bystander.jpg
In the next five to ten years, I will remember the bystander effect. I never realize that I was too, a bystander. The bystander effect is when there is somebody not feeling so well and you do nothing about it, because maybe you thought that somebody else around is going to do something about it. So, basically you ignored that ill person and waited to see if anyone is going to do anything about it. There were a situation where I became a bystander for an ill stranger in the park. As I was walking, I saw a sick man having a seizure or some sort of illness and I thought he was just fooling around, so I stood about 30 feet away from that man observing him. I was sort of laughing at him, but I feel bad afterwards. After about 8 to 10 minutes observing him, there was suddenly a man who came and ask if that sick man was okay. He didn't look well, so the guy who came to help called for ambulance and that was when I went and approach those two men.
I regretted so much, because I thought the sick man was just fooling around and if he was not than there will be someone around to help him. It did took a while before someone helped him. I WILL remember the bystander effect forever because where ever I go, if I see somebody not feeling so well out in the streets or anywhere I will step up and see if that person is okay.

Classical Conditioning

When I was asked the question about what I'm going to remember about psychology, the answer was easy, like it should be. The concept that I'm going to remember is Pavlov's experiment with classical conditioning. One reason to why I picked this was because it was something I had already heard about coming into psych, and I can tell just by talking with family member's that Pavlov too is what they remember. Another main reason why I'll remember this is because all of the examples that I could use to help myself understand the concept better. I'll always remember the bell, the dog, and the meat powder, but being able to relate my own examples to make any scenario is what helped this concept stick to my brain. Thinking back to the discussion section about how we had to make our own advertisement by using the unconditional response, unconditional stimulus conditional stimulus and conditional response, that helped me distinguish between the for different responses.

Pavlov Photo

The Science of Love

Many topics in Psychology 1001 are interesting but the one topic I won't forget is the science explanations of love and attraction. The science side of love explains that there are three things that fuel attraction; proximity, similarity, and reciprocity.

Proximity refers to the physical distance between people. One statistic that I found extremely odd, yet makes sense, was the fact that you're more likely to marry someone you've gone to school with since kindergarten than you are someone you meet later in life.

Similarity is exactly what the word means, how much you are alike to the other person. This makes sense because the more you have in common with someone the more you have to talk about. Although this makes me wonder how the old saying "opposites attract" came to be. Maybe it's peoples minds coming up with an explanation to show why they do something (in this case why they like someone that they have nothing in common with) like in the experiments with people who had their corpus collosum severed.

couple.jpg

Reciprocity is a little more complicated and refers to how each person in a relationship gives up some things in order to work together and stay together into old age like the couple pictured above.

The main reason this will be a topic that I will remember is because it's relevant to my life. This is the first class I've taken that's looked at love or attraction as more than serendipity and I find it interesting.

The start of a new path...

Psychology 1001 gave names and background to many of the concepts that I have been interested in for a long time now. I tried to learn more about the subject in high school but was limited by the small curriculum of my school. Although, I've learned that there are far more branches in psychology than I could have named before the beginning of the semester. I've learned about concepts that will stay with me much longer than five years.

Some of what I'm sure I'll remember for many years to come includes almost all of what I learned this semester. I have started to think about what I've learned in my daily life, by attributing some behaviors of people and even myself to certain concepts I've learned about in psychology lecture. I've even decided that maybe what I want to spend my time on here at the university is learning more about psychology. I've wanted to go on to medical school for a very long time now but I'm considering declaring Psychology as my major, so that I can enjoy what I learn about while preparing myself for Medical school.

Behavioral Psychology

The most influential topic for me that we have covered in Psych 1001 has been Biological Psychology. Biological Psychology can be defined as "a neurophysiological perspective on human consciousness" (Peterson). During this unit, we talked a lot about the brain and its functions, such as the left hemisphere of the brain being responsible for the right side of the body, and vice versa. We also covered learning and the brain's ability to adapt, such as Pavlov's classical conditioning compared to Thorndike's instrumental conditioning. Along with learning, we also discussed the different types of punishment and reinforcement, which are both key to absorbing new information.

I personally enjoyed this unit because it seemed very relevant to everyday life. All of the concepts discussed in both lecture and the textbook can easily be applied to my own life, as well as any common situation. I was really intrigued to learn about how the brain works and why people think the way they do, and I thought this was covered very well in lecture. I thoroughly enjoyed lectures for this unit, as I found them very intriguing and easy to follow. Also, there were many visuals and videos presented during lecture, which made for a better understanding of the different topics, as well as provided me with a strong visual of each. For example, when I think of the Split-Brain Phenomenon from now on, I will always think of the videos of the subjects who could not explain their actions or thoughts, such as the man who drew the orange because he saw the word orange, yet could not make the connection between the action and the word.

http://considermoon.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/mercedes-benz-left-brain-right-brain-paint1.jpg

Liar, Liar

The brain is an incredible thing that I feel I will never fully understand, but many concepts will stick with me. One particular concept I think I will remember five years from now is the concept of pseudologia fantastica, or pathological lying. What makes this psychological concept so memorable and especially evident is because my roommate was a pathological liar. She essentially could not be honest about most things in her life and dug herself into a hole she couldn't get out of. I originally blamed this on her being inconsiderate, insecure and generally kind of crazy. However, I came to realize the more I talked to her about it - after she forcibly admitted many of her lies - that she really thought that was an appropriate way of handling things. Our brains are the best storytellers there are and her brain was moving at incredible speeds to make up all of the lies that she somehow had started to even believe herself because she was in such denial of the truth and this is how her brain coped with it. This also exhibits the concept of false memory formation, which was very common for her also. She didn't seem to have any control. Her brain was telling her that her lies were right and true and she had developed some sort of double life since this had been manifesting itself over her whole lifetime. While everyone else was hurt and confused by her lying tendencies, I used the knowledge I had about how the brain works psychologically and referred it to the inner workings of her brain, contributing it to fear or a need to hide the truth, although yhe lies are all based on an element of truth. This made it easier to understand that she was not doing any of this intentionally, that it is a mental illness, and that it was not just to certain people, but she lied to everyone. The brain is so incredibly complicated and capable of doing so many different things to different people and the concept of pathological lying is something that will stick with me for a long time.lying.jpg

Odd Behaviors When in Love

124.jpeg
According to Som Sommers, author of Situations Matter, we make different faces when we interact with our loved ones. This is only one example of how humans act out of the norm when faced with their loved ones. As we have learned in class, humans have a tendency to conform to behaviors of those around us. When we see others smile, our own soon follows. When we see others frown, it is very likely that we will also frown. However, all these reactions are context-dependent. Sommers explains the conformity phenomenon through the example, "[Why] for a brief period of time, adults who could afford actual shoes instead voluntarily ventured out wearing plastic clogs with swiss-cheese holes."
Despite our mimicking nature, Sommers points out that, "[the] mimicry of frowning faces disappears when the face looking back at you belongs to your partner." Rather than frowning back, in a Dutch study, participants start to smile when shown frowning pictures of their partner instead. Sommers explains the reason why the participants smiled is because they regularly make sacrifices for their partner's well-being. The smile was an automatic effort to, as Sommers states, "soothe their loved one's distress."

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/science-small-talk/201112/what-the-face-love-looks

Children Are White Papers

happy-kid.jpg

I am interested in majoring in Early Child Education and becoming a child educator. I have been always in love with babies and kids because they are so innocent and adorable. They are like white papers, so I can draw anything on them. They are also like sponges, so they absorb incredible amount of what they learn every day. Because adults are in charge of children's education and development when they are young, they possess various colors of crayons to fill the children's white papers.

Since I can exert such a huge influence on kids as an educator in the future, it is important for me to understand that they don't know what I already know. According to Piaget's four stages of cognitive development, the preoperational stage of two to seven-year-olds is governed by egocentrism. It is not that they are selfish, but they simply lack ability in thinking in others' shoes. Young kids also sometimes don't understand that an object is still there even when it disappears, which is called object permanence. Seven-year-olds or under in average either don't know of conservation or are confused of it. As an example, those younger children don't know that the volume is conserved when the same amount of liquid is put in a different container. Even more, three-year-olds or under normally don't pass the False Belief Test, which means that they don't know that others might have different representation of fact than they do.

Learning these concepts and the characteristics of children helped me a lot to understand them. I know they are learning new things and that sometimes they just don't get it right away. However, I had thought that children sometimes act too selfishly and unthoughtfully. It is true that they do, but now I fully understand that they should behave so if they are "normal" kids and so that we should correct them. I will keep in mind what I have learned about child development and always try to remind them.

Identity

identity.gif
I will never forget the concept of identity.
Do we ever stop changing our concept of self? The concept of identity will continually be intriguing to me because I see no end to its transformations. The compilation of all our experiences and memories define who we are at each individual point in time. Erikson's theory of development seems to be in accord, as it suggests that our identity is continually changing as we develop throughout our whole life. However, this is not the only reason that I will never forget the concept of identity.

The concept of identity is so fundamentally captivating to me because it begs the question of to what extent we are able to influence ourselves. How much of a role does our environment and seemingly inconsequential events play in shaping our actions and development? It is impossible to know. It leaves us with the mystery of ourselves and how we came to be who we are.

That is the essence of why the concept of identity is so intriguing to me. My sense of self will continually change and be reevaluated and I see no end. For now, I will live in the moment and continually crack at the mystery of who I am and how I came to be through the introspection of my experiences and memories.

Recent Assets

• Bystander.jpg
  • conformity_115465.jpg
  • couple.jpg
  • identity.gif
  • happy-kid.jpg
  • 124.jpeg
  • lying.jpg
  • Psych side image.jpg
  • israel-125year-old-man-laughing-300x295.jpg
  • classical conditioning.jpg