Truth About Happiness

dsm_iv.jpg

I've always been a goal-oriented person. From the time I was little, putting sticky notes on my bathroom mirror the week before gymnastics meets, until now, trying my best to achieve what I want to so badly. From the time I was little I knew I wanted to be a doctor. I fell in love with helping people, and psychology became my passion in high school. Freshman year I asked for the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM Fourth Edition for Christmas. I knew that I wanted to be a psychiatrist, and to this day that is what I'm striving for.

Since I will be taking more psychology classes and somebody will be a psychiatrist, I'm sure there are many things that will stick with me. At this point in time I've noticed myself thinking about psychology throughout my daily life. As my mom and I were talking one day, I knew the name of something that I just couldn't think of at the moment. I even told her out loud that I was having the Tip of the Tongue phenomena.

As we were going through the chapters I found certain things so interesting, but then when we got to the chapter about Emotion and Motivation, it pulled me in. It is all so interesting to me. The myths and realities about happiness are something that I think I will remember years from now. My goals are for the key points of happiness, such as marriage and giving, to come true. It seems like in our society today that all people care about is money. Many people give up their true passions for money. They believe the false idea that money is something that determines happiness. I believe that if you aren't doing something that you truly love; money has no factor in happiness. Which, is exactly why I want to be a psychiatrist. It's something I'm truly passionate about, and when I look back someday I will remember the true sources of happiness that we learned about in this class.