The Science of Love

Many topics in Psychology 1001 are interesting but the one topic I won't forget is the science explanations of love and attraction. The science side of love explains that there are three things that fuel attraction; proximity, similarity, and reciprocity.

Proximity refers to the physical distance between people. One statistic that I found extremely odd, yet makes sense, was the fact that you're more likely to marry someone you've gone to school with since kindergarten than you are someone you meet later in life.

Similarity is exactly what the word means, how much you are alike to the other person. This makes sense because the more you have in common with someone the more you have to talk about. Although this makes me wonder how the old saying "opposites attract" came to be. Maybe it's peoples minds coming up with an explanation to show why they do something (in this case why they like someone that they have nothing in common with) like in the experiments with people who had their corpus collosum severed.

couple.jpg

Reciprocity is a little more complicated and refers to how each person in a relationship gives up some things in order to work together and stay together into old age like the couple pictured above.

The main reason this will be a topic that I will remember is because it's relevant to my life. This is the first class I've taken that's looked at love or attraction as more than serendipity and I find it interesting.

I wonder if the opposites attract may refer to some personality aspects... for example most couples I know have a mix of one person who is a little more introverted and one who is a little more extroverted. Perhaps in some aspects we like opposites.