ESPN fires employee over Jeremy Lin controversy

ESPN fired the employee who wrote a racially offensive headline about basketball player Jeremy Lin and suspended an anchor who used the same slur, the sports network said Sunday.

The headline "Chink in the Armor," referenced the New York Knicks' loss Friday night, said CNN.

The phrase has two meanings. One implying the loss, the other being an ethnic slur for those of asian descent.

According to CNN, the headline was up for 35 minutes on Saturday morning before being removed.

"Lin is the NBA's first American-born player of Chinese or Taiwanese descent." said the Star Tribune. "He has captivated sports fans with unexpected dominance on the court."

EPSN also apologized for an anchor using the term on Wednesday night. A third reference was made on Friday, according to CNN.

Lin addressed the controversy during a news conference. "I don't think it was on purpose," Lin said. "At the same time, they've apologized. I don't care anymore."

I totally support Lin's attitude towards the situation. One shouldn't take into consideration the negative comments and the offensive and vicious remarks, as they fade away with time. And what really matters in the end is your contribution and the results of your work. They are what determines you and what forms the societys' opinion, not the insulting headlines. If I was at his place, I wouldn't care either.
Homes