Return to: U of M Home
Home : Vegetable Seed Trials 2012
Master Gardeners of Dakota County: Vegetable Seed Trials
Vegetable Seed Trials for 2012
The Master Gardeners of Dakota County have joined with other Master Gardeners from across the state of Minnesota to test annual vegetables seeds in both the demonstration gardens at UMore Park and in their own gardens each year since 1982. The purpose of these test gardens is to report and share the results of the test work on specific vegetable varieties. Testing data includes germination rate, growing habits, flavor, size, color, and texture. Results from data sheets of selected vegetable varieties are compiled on the state level and reported in the Northern Gardener and local newspapers.
This year, we are trial several varieties of pickling cucumbers, tomatillos, kale, flat pole beans, beets, and sweet peppers. Our work will start in May and continue until October. Vegetable Trials Garden Master Gardeners will be in the garden located next to the "Big M" garden running along Highway 46 each Tuesday evening from 6:00 - 8:00 p.m., and the public is welcome to come by to check on the progress of each vegetable variety. Gardeners will be happy to answer questions and talk about the garden at that time.
This year, we'll be testing the following:
1. Pickling cucumbers (Curcubita): 'Cool Breeze', 'Alibi', 'Chicago Pickler', 'True Lemon', 'Salt and Pepper', and 'Yellow Submarine'. These will be seeded directly into the garden once frost danger is past and will need climbing support.
2. Tomatillos (Physalis): 'Purple', 'Toma Verde', 'de Milpa', 'Gigante', 'Dr. Whyche Golden'. These will be started indoors and transplanted to the garden after frost danger is past.
3. Kale (Brassica): 'Lacinato-Tuscan', 'Redbor', 'Galega de Folhas', 'Winterbor', 'White Russian', 'Siberian'. These will be seeded directly into the garden as soon as the soil is workable.
4. Flat pole beans (Phaeseolus): 'Supermarconi', 'Helda/Hilda', 'Marvel of Venice', 'Goldmarie', 'Smeraldo', 'Tamara'. These will be seeded directly into the garden once frost danger is past and will need climbing support.
5. Beets (Beta): 'Red Ace 125', 'Golden Beet 128', 'Merlin 2758', 'Touchstone Gold 2818',
'Chioggia Guardsmark 25', 'Blankoma'. These will be seeded directly into the garden once soil is workable.
6. Sweet mini-peppers (Capsicum): 'Alma Paprika', 'Mini Red Bell', 'Sheepnose Pimento', 'Mini Yellow Bell', 'Mini Chocolate Bell', 'Yum-Yum Gold'. These will be started indoors and transplanted into the garden once frost danger is past.
Posted by firstname.lastname@example.org | Permalink