Gopher football player quits, blames Coach Kill

University of Minnesota receiver, A.J. Barker is quitting the football team after mistreatment from Coach Jerry Kill, according to the Pioneer Press.

The junior player, who suffered a high ankle sprain earlier in the season, has announcement his news of quitting the team on Sunday via Twitter. "Well, its official. I am done playing football for the University of Minnesota and I will be looking to transfer next season for my final yr," Barker wrote. Barker later told the Pioneer Press that he decided to quit after a "heated discussion" with Coach Kill on Thursday, during which Kill said that he was not healthy enough to play.

After Twitter followers demanded answers from Barker, he directed them to a letter he wrote to Coach Kill on his Tumblr page. Included in the scathing letter is the following, "Now, in honor of my family and myself I'm done with you for good. In light of that pathetic, manipulative display of rage and love you put on this past Thursday, I have come to the decision, with the guidance of my parents and my closest friends, that my time on this team has come to an end. It kills me that I have to do this before the season's over, but this is the only way I can protect myself against the manipulation and abuse I'd have to endure from you the rest of this season."

According to ESPN, Barker leads the Gophers with 30 catches for 577 yards and seven touchdowns. "Barker is a junior who walked onto the team but emerged this season. He has one year of eligibility left and wouldn't have to sit out if he transfers," ESPN stated.