Here are a few things I forget about until they happen when I'm riding:
- Keep your momentum up even when you are relaxing. Otherwise even a little stone, branch or dip in the road will through you off.
- Related to the first one, keep your pedals moving.
- Don't let your mind wander. This is the most common reason for the first two above.
- However, don't forget to look around and enjoy being outdoors.
- Hit transitions with speed. Can't be timid.
- Don't wander all over the bike path. There will be bicycles coming up behind you.
- Get your seat under you when you are going over irregular surfaces. You are more likely to get thrown off if you are buckled over at the waist.
- Keep your concentration at the top of a long hard climb. Nothing worse that making the climb then UPDing at the top.