Down on the farm

Crosby Farm Regional Park hugs the north shore of the Mississippi river as it winds through St. Paul. Tall limestone bluffs separate the park land on the river flats from the traffic and buildings of the city. Maps and descriptions of the park I found online showed about 5 miles of paved trail snaking through the park. Friday afternoon after work I drove there on the way home to give it a ride and see what it is like as a unicycle destination.

The entry to the park is just past the Ford plant where they are sputtering out the last of the Ranger trucks before shuttering the buildings. The park has lots of parking which made me think at first that it is heavily used, but in reality I think it is a hidden gem. Very few cars - maybe 5 or 6 - were in the lot that afternoon. Maybe the cloudy cool weather was keeping others away. The 6' wide asphalt-paved trail ran alongside the parking lots and was easy to find before it headed out into the bush.

Back in the lot by my parked car I tried three times to mount, and realized it would be one of those rides where I always feel awkward and never quite settled on the seat. Finally I caught my balance and was off and riding. I literally rode the first mile without seeing anyone. During the whole ride I saw perhaps three or four couples walking, a woman walking her pit bull (the only dog that has ever growled at me passing by) and a group of high school kids at a picnic shelter.

The path, as you can see by the map, follows the river. I had long stretches of the Mississippi to myself in the middle of the Metro Twin Cities! Two short, but steep, abrupt climbs beat me both going up and coming back down. There were other hills, but manageable when I focused on keeping my feet firmly planted on the pedals during the upstroke, and particularly just before applying power on the downstroke. I would have preferred packed dirt like the Gateway, but really this was fine. The site and trail actually felt very remote at times.

What did I learn on this ride? Well, maybe it was that when riding a new path more of my attention is spent thinking about route options, distances, and discovering new surroundings than on technique. From the parking lot I knew this wasn't going to be a technically adept ride...I wasn't feeling balanced and pavement isn't my favorite...but I was very pleased that so much of the path was on or within sight of the great river. I'd like to figure out a way to cross the river and continue the ride on paths on the souther side. I also realized that I prefer to feel the resistance of a dirt path to the hard roll of pavement.

View Hidden Falls Park Ride in a larger map

=== popurls.com === popular today...

Wonderful add Matt. Funny enough almost included that stat. It underscores that these are guides only. You will need to identify who you happen to be after and what their schedule is. For instance, I have had good 40-50% email open rates sending Sunday night to get a sports resort customer because we recognized many were personal emails and were more probably to be inside a sporty frame-of-mind on the weekend. Established the benchmark along with the standards above. Next 1 tried Sunday. Worked.

But wanna remark that you have a very nice site, I love the style and design it really stands out.

I do not consider it an insult, but rather a compliment, to be called an agnostic. I do not pretend to know where many ignorant men are sure ?- that is all agnosticism means.

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an edginess over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again since exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this hike.

I am not assured proviso it is immediately my machine, but I am powerless to view a little of your images correctly. I am using Chrome excluding some clothes are not loading. Social Networking Software

Thanks on behalf of another informative position. Where besides could I get that kindly of info printed in such a perfect way? I've a impel that I'm just now functioning by, and I have been on the look not on on behalf of such info.

If you make ships in a bottle, I bet the thing that really makes your heart sink is when you look in, and there at the wheel is

I have mastered a quantity of in mint condition items from your web place about personal computers. One more thing I have forever tacit is that computer systems have turn into a product that all residence must have for a lot of reasons. They equip you with convenient customs in which to arrange the inland, fee bills, go shopping, learn, tune in to music and in scores of hand baggage inspect box series. An innovative performance to thorough mainly of these tasks is a computer. These desktops are portable ones, petite, robust and convenient.

Wow that was rare. I merely wrote an particularly long remark nevertheless later than I clicked accept my comment didn't illustrate up. Grrrr... fine I'm not letters all that ended yet again. At any rate, emphatically sought after to utter first-rate blog!

This page contains a single entry by Thomas Michaels published on September 25, 2010 8:21 AM.

Unicycling helps your French was the previous entry in this blog.

Looking in control is the next entry in this blog.