There's balance, and then there's position

Riding the Gateway today, as I was coming off the top of the unicycle after sliding through some mud, I realized that there is balance, and then there is position.

What I mean is that if you are successfully riding, then you are in balance. However, even if balanced, your body may not be in position to deal with sudden changes. Like mud. Or rocks. Or that whatever-it-is that's hiding in the grass on the trail that inevitably jumps up to block your tire. My issue at the beginning of the ride was that I was overly hunched at the waist, hips back, tentatively riding along fretting about the sand and mud. Of course, as soon as I hit some and had a little wheel slip, off I went.

However, during the rest of the ride I concentrated on trying to keep my body in good position, which for me is like what my wife says about dancing...its like a string is extended through your head, down your back and through your center of gravity. I think that's what I'm really getting at when I write about getting my hips forward, shoulders back, torso loose. I'm getting everything lined up with that string. And why? Because I'm in better position to ride through the rocks and slippery bits and respond to sudden changes. It seemed to work although it was hardly a good experiment. It also helped, I think, that this position resulted in a more confident, even aggressive, riding style which meant better flow and momentum through the trail.

So for the next few rides I'm not only going to try to stay in balance, but also in position for the unexpected..

just another mount that almost everybody will have...
nothing special

Hello. Very cool web site!! Man .. Beautiful .. Superb .. I will bookmark your website and take the feeds also...I am satisfied to find so much helpful information right here in the article. Thank you for sharing...

Good day. Very cool website!! Man .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. I'll bookmark your web site and take the feeds additionally...I'm satisfied to locate so much useful info right here in the article. Thank you for sharing..

Nice list. I used to use iWebtools. Many thanks for your heads up and information about this,This is the unique article. Well explained . Thanks for sharing..

Hi there! Accomplish you know condition they compose a few plugins to help with Search Engine Optimization? I'm trying to get my blog to rank representing approximately targeted keywords except I'm not since fantastically nice domino effect. Qualification you identify of any delight distribute. Thanks!

Consciously or unconsciously we all strive to make the kind of a world we like.

None of us proclaimed there are no idea about what exactly FOREX STRATEGY is actually its better for you to find out more about with http://www.directorywx.info/index.php?q=wccforex.com

Hey! Quick question that's completely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My website looks weird when browsing from my iphone4. I'm trying to find a theme or plugin that might be able to resolve this problem. If you have any recommendations, please share. Appreciate it!

My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me.

Thanks, I have recently been seeking for details about this subject for ages and yours is the best I have found so far.

This page contains a single entry by Thomas Michaels published on September 21, 2010 11:40 PM.

Perceptions was the previous entry in this blog.

Unicycling helps your French is the next entry in this blog.