Urgency

Two ideas were running through my mind when I mounted the unicycle this afternoon. First, I realized I rarely UPDed as a result of being too aggressive. Rather, it happens when I'm too timid. Second, I heard my Irish Traditional Tune mentor in my head saying, "don't get stuck in the slow ghetto". His point was that it is a bit lazy to keep playing tunes at convenient speeds and that I should push myself to play faster...within myself and within the context of the tune, but faster.

I then committed to make this ride, which was to follow my usual route around the St. Paul Campus, through the state fair grounds and back along the dirt tracks on the experiment station, like a lap, rather than a ride. If I ride it like it's a lap, then I'm putting some urgency in the ride, keeping a strong pace, staying out of the slow ghetto and consequently reducing my chances of tentative UPDs.

I'm glad I did.

Half way through the ride, when I was on the state fair grounds, the wind whipped up as it can suddenly do on the prairies. In the past those winds have knocked me right off the unicycle. This time maybe the winds weren't as intense, but I also think that my urgent riding and more aggressive attitude kept me in the saddle, particularly when cornering on dirt trails in a sudden gust.

I didn't watch the clock so I don't know, and don't really want to know, my lap time, but my legs tell me that it was a good workout. That's good enough for me today.

Some themes are really good, I wish I had photo gallery :D

Great deeds are usually wrought at great risks.

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your blog? My blog site is in the very same area of interest as yours and my users would truly benefit from some of the information you provide here. Please let me know if this okay with you. Thank you!

Nothing fails like success.

This page contains a single entry by Thomas Michaels published on October 20, 2010 2:58 PM.

Ride to Wisconsin was the previous entry in this blog.

Balancing with hips and lower abs is the next entry in this blog.