Backstroke

Ok, I have to admit that I'm getting a bit bored with the idling drills, but I'm keeping at it. Progress isn't fast, but I'm not regressing either. My best so far is 8 cycles left foot down and 6 with right foot down. Still a long way to go.

The mental images that I've been using during my idling practice the past few days is to emphasize smoothness and rhythm through the whole cycle of the idle stroke, and to emphasize the backstroke.

The smoothness and rhythm image idea came from my realization that when I was doing the 100 or so idles using support I had reasonable smoothness and rhythm, but when I later let go and tried to idle as many times as possible, all that form went out the window and I just did whatever i could to stay on top and rocking. I suspected that would lead to bad habits, so now I'm trying to maintain the rhythm, still try to do as much idling as possible without support, but not hesitating to touch supports on either side that allow me to keep balance and keep idling. I think that learning to keep that rhythm will pay off down the road.

The backstroke idea came to me when I was flailing around trying to keep my balance. I found that I wasn't using the backstroke much to make balance adjustments, instead doing most of the shifting on the forward stroke. When I did use the backstroke for more balance, I had greater success. So now I make sure I carry the backstroke back far enough that my lower back arches a bit, and that seems to help.

I realize that all these mental images will be discarded once I get proficient, but for now, when I'm still struggling, it is helping a bit, or at least giving me something to think about while I'm doing the drills.

Hi. I have just tried this and all I'm getting is an indexed/directory list of files on my website. Can anyone help ? Many thanks

Good day. Very nice site!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. I'll bookmark your site and take the feeds also...I am happy to locate so much helpful information here within the article. Thank you for sharing.

Hello Ladies & Gentleman, believe it or perhaps not this is still the very first 1 week on the online world, i confess i am tiny bit late with this technological innovation, but better now then never - right? I was previously able to grab 100 of bookmarks of items which interest me, if i would have recognized the internet has virtually all this, i would probably have tried to get it before then in my sixties. My favourite bookmark so far, which i check out pretty much every other evening is Extremly Private Celeb Tapes, its excellent! I wanted to comply with those habits of all those other posters in this article which say thanks nicely all over. What a surprising friendly community in this article. Looks the word wide web is stuffed with good folks. Greatest Regards and a blessed full week to every body!

This page contains a single entry by Thomas Michaels published on January 27, 2011 10:07 AM.

Drill baby, drill was the previous entry in this blog.

Finally outside is the next entry in this blog.