Lab report

My winter indoor riding project is to learn to idle. Finally. It has been frustratingly hard, but I think I'm close.

I brought a 24" unicycle to my lab so I can practice for 30 minutes or so over lunch, using a wall and a lab bench for support.

I've learned that idling isn't moving the unicycle back and forth, but rather rocking the unicycle in front of, and behind, my center of gravity. Full disclosure, at this point the best I've done is 4 rocks, so I'm still very early in this process, but I think that the right sensation is one of moving my hips forward and backward under my center of gravity, which seems to be about an inch or two under my navel (or at least that's where I imagine it to be when I'm idling).

It has been uncomfortable for me to let the wheel get in front of and behind my center of gravity when I've worked so hard at normally keeping the wheel right under me. Thinking about that hip movement has been helpful. Also keeping the stroke short, learning to idle with either leg down, and letting the seat take some weight, have all been helpful thought while practicing.

But the greatest help has been working on it regularly, a half hour a day. Maybe tomorrow I'll be up to eight.

Hi there
Fabulous layouts above. Love them.
One question you may be able to assist: why do your layouts perform in IE6 and mine don't? For IE I've to place a no-wrap otherwise the content material will appear down the left side from the container only. I've tested the lists in IE but still having probs. Cheers

I really appreciate this post. I have been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You've made my day! Thanks again!

Self-conceit may lead to self-destruction.

I'm actually getting tired of the many trackback spam that my site is getting. There's a trillion plug ins it seems, and I do not know which one would be good for me, or even if I've seen all of the plugins that can help me get rid of this. So quick question - what plugin would you advise to get rid of trackback spam? I still would like to receive comments, but this other stuff is driving me crazy.

This page contains a single entry by Thomas Michaels published on January 5, 2011 10:08 PM.

Know where you are going was the previous entry in this blog.

Muscle, reflex and determination is the next entry in this blog.