Gymnosperm Cones

meadpinetree.jpg

meadopencone.jpg

meadpinecone.jpg

WHAT: A gymnosperm (pine tree) and half cones along with full female cone
WHERE: 10th St. and University Ave.
SO:I chose this tree because it was close to my house. On the Top is the Pine Tree with small cones. In the middle is the split in half cone ( It was really hard to cut in half) You can't really see the megasporangia but you can see the inside is very solid and hard. On the bottom is a female cone.

Quantitative Differences in Berries

berries.jpg

Where: Outside my condo building on Dean Parkway, near Lake Calhoun
What: Pictures of berries on a mini pine tree
So: The size of the berries show quantitative differences in that some are smaller than others and some are larger than others. The shape also varies, but the quantitative trait that is shown in variation in this picture is the actual size and diameter of the berries.

Apples to Apples

Apple Orchard 1.jpg

Apple Orchard 2.jpg

Apple Orchard 3.jpg

This is an apple orchard bearing fruit (apples) in a variety of sizes and flavors at the Fireside Orchard in southern Minnesota. The quantitative trait being measured is the diameter of the fruit.

Tyler Quantitative Trait...

IMG_2636.JPG
This is an apple tree bearing fruit in a range of sizes outside my place. The quantitative trait being measured is the diameter of the fruit.

Lugumes and Fruits

applemm.jpg

What: Honeycrisp apple from Rainbow foods

So: Fleshy fruit called a pome

beanmm.jpg

What: Green Bean
Where: From Rainbow
So: This is an example of a legume, which is dehiscent.

Tyler Fleshy and Dry Fruit

IMG_1695.JPG
Crabapple fruit and green bean. The exocarp makes up the outer skin of each. The mesocarp is the inner fleshy area. The endocarp is around the seed. The seeds were plucked from the crabapple. The beans squirted away in the opening process.

Fruits and Such

pom2.jpg

What: This is a photograph of a pomegranate. It is a berry fruit.
Where: Purchased from Lunds, this picture was taken in my condo.
So: The characteristics of the pomegranate helped me determine that it was a berry. It has a fleshy pericarp and many seeds.

pod2.jpg

What: This is a photograph of a sugar snap pea. It is a legume, with a folded single carpal and seeds inside.
So: The characteristics of the pomegranate helped me determine that it was a dehiscent legume. It is a simple fruit with a dry pericarp and has a single carpal which splits along two edges.

Ferns and Moss

ferny.jpg
Where: Como Conservatory
What: Polypodiaceae Pteris cretica "Wimsettii" Table Fern
So: This picture of a fern taken in the Como Conservatory shows discoloration in the leaves.

Mossy.jpg
Where: Como Conservatory
What: Moss
So: This picture of moss taken at the Como Conservatory. Moss usually grows in damp and shady locations, and while the location was not shady, the moisture and temperature are kept very high in the greenhouse.

Tyler Moss and Fern

IMG_2633.JPG
Club moss found at Como Conservatory.
IMG_2634.JPG
Ribbon fern with darkened sori on underside of frond at Como Conservatory

Colors and Callus

colors.jpg

This tree was behind my apartment building. It has a distinct change in colors from yellows and oranges on the southside and more green colors on the northside.

callus.jpg

This tree was also found near my apartment. It looks as if the tree is reacting to having branches cut off or some other kind of damage to the tree.

Leaf colors and Tree calluses

leaves.jpg

what: I believe it's an oak tree

where: on the way to St. Paul on Selby Ave. taken a few weeks ago when I was on a photo assignment

So- The plastid colors which are yellow, are where the tree has more shade. The parts of the tree that are exposed to more sunlight are where the red leaves appear because they are producing more anthocyanin.

trunk.jpg

What- Tree Callus

Where- Parking lot in back of house

This tree appears to have suffered a wound and could have been caused by people removing the branch. You can see the calluses and growth that occurred because of this wound.

Leaf colors and Tree calluses

leaf.jpg
Where: Maple Grove Arboretum
What: Red Oak leaves
So: This photograph shows a Red Oak tree which has some leaves that are mostly red, some which are red and green, and some leaves which are mostly green. The red leaves, rich with anthocyanin, are faced toward the area of the tree which gets the most sunlight, while the more green leaves are the ones which reside in more shade. Those green leaves get less sunlight, and therefore, have worse conditions to create the vibrant red color which you can see in some of the leaves.

callus.jpg

Where: Maple Grove Arboretum
What: Sentry Linden tree
So: This tree appears to have suffered a wound as shown in the picture. This could have been caused by people or animals, but you can see the calluses and growth that occurred because of this wound.

Colour and Callus

IMG_2626.JPG
Striking Sugar Maple with anthocyanin-rich leaves toward the sunnier, outer part of the canopy. The inner leaves receive less sunlight and produce fewer red pigments.
IMG_2631.JPG
Graft of ash tree. Both trees in South Saint Paul.

Leaf Variegation

pp1.jpg

Found on Washington Ave. and Huron Ave.

L-III mutation

pp2.jpg

Found outside Kowloon Chinese Restaurant - good food.

L-II mutation

Plant Variegation

Both of these plants were found in the Soil Science building and I believe they are both L-II mutations.

variegation 1.jpg

variegation 2.jpg