Gymnosperms

pine tree.JPGpine cone.JPG

Continue reading "Gymnosperms" »

Quanitative Differences

week12.jpg
I took a picture of the Lily of the Valley flower. To qualitatively analyze this plant, I would count the amount of flowers and propagate the ones that had the most to eventually increase the yield of flowers, which would be very useful for a florist and profitable.

Quantitative Traits

1124081513.jpg
1124081513a.jpg
1124081514.jpg
1124081514a.jpg
1124081515.jpg

Continue reading "Quantitative Traits" »

Quantitative

Node sizes.JPG This is a bamboo shoot that I have in my room, and if you can tell, the nodes are a slightly different size. The node size here is a quantitative trait.

AK_Qaunatitative: Initial Shoot Formation

quantitative diff in initial shoot formation.JPG
These are a few purple onions that were sprouting in my vegetable bowl. The quantitative trait here is the number of initial shoots formed. Initial shoot formation for these onions (and the other two I found sprouting) was between three shoots and eight shoots. With only five specimens it is difficult to determine whether this trait is actually quantitative or qualitative. The shoots came up in clusters of three or four, with onions have larger number of shoots showing them in such clusters of three or four.

Quantitative Trait-Renee Canales

WHAT: River Birches (Betula nigra)
WHERE: East Bank U of M, near the rec. center.
SO:This is a stand of 20 birch trees. The quantitative trait that I measured was number of trunks per tree. There were 12 with three trunks (0.6), 6 with four trunks (0.3) and 2 with 2 trunks (0.1).
1227526328_DSCN1687.JPG

Fruits Fruits!! Week 11

11-17-08_1628[1].jpeg
Here is a honey crisp apple I took a picture of. I do not have a picture of a dehiscent fruit for this week.

Fruits-Renee Canales

What: Apple (pome)
Where: my kitchen
So: Apple showing the exocarp, mesocarp, seed, and endocarp
appleseed.JPG

What: Sunflower Seed (Achene)
Where: my kitchen
So: Sunflower seeds are a simple, dry pericarped indehescent fruit. This doesn't show the seedcoat, but it has the papery coating and the seed itself.
sunflowerseed.JPG

AK _ Fruits

fleshy fruit.JPG
Orange slices! Unfortunately, I did not know this orange would be seedless. Purchased at the convenience store, an orange from Texas. Fruit chosen for how cool it looks sliced.

dry dehiscent fruit.JPG
Milkweed pod, in front of the Bell Museum, photo taken some weeks ago. I like this photo for the beetle crawling around and the color.

November 17-fruit

limaa beaan.jpg
Maango.jpg

Continue reading "November 17-fruit" »

Week 10 Assignment

week10.jpg
I could not find a fern now, the ones by my house are dead, so I found a picture of ferns I took at my cabin last summer. You cannot see the sori, but this picture gives the general idea for the morphology of a fern.

week 10.jpg
In the upper right you can see a green moss on the bark of a dead birch. You can see the gametophyte and the sporophyte (the brown 1" stalks). I wish I had taken this picture with a zoom.

moss and fern

PB091146.JPG
Moss on a tree next to my apartment. The moss is just starting to form, so it does not yet have stalks.

PB091137.JPG
A fern in my apartment. Sorry, I don't know the species.

Moss and Fern

moss.jpg

What: Moss
Where: Governor Knowles State Forest, Polk County, WI
So: Moss showing gametophyte and sporophyte.
fern 1.jpg dead fern.jpg

What: Live fern, dead fern...
Where: Governer Knowles State Forest, Polk County, WI
So: two ferns, the only ones I could find!

Week 8--fall colors and photosynthesis

IMG_6428.JPG
IMG_6430.JPG

I thought it was interesting that this tree with the red leaves was red, only feet away from one that was almost all yellow. I wondered if the different species just had a different allocation of pigments. I also took a picture of a tree with a small callus growth at the bottom down my street.

October 27- fall Colors

Fall Color.JPGCallused.JPG In the first image, you can see the difference in the colors of the leaves that were facing away from the building. In the second photo branches were cut down creating calluses on the trees.