Male and Female Pine Tree Parts

tree_parts.jpg

Continue reading "Male and Female Pine Tree Parts" »

Gymnosperm

tree.jpg

Continue reading "Gymnosperm" »

Gymnosperm plant - Melanie

Melanie gymno.jpg

What: Representation of a gymnosperm plant.
Where: My front yard

So: I thought this was an interesting of example of a gymnosperm that was not the usual pine tree.
It has small clusters of cones all over, but the cones appear to be female and I was unable to locate or determine if there were any male.

Gymnosperm plant - Melanie

Melanie gymno.jpg

Where: My front yard

Female cone

Mel female cone.jpg

What: Female cones on a gymnosperm

Where: My front yard

So: This is an example of what appears to be clusters of female cones on a gymnosperm plant. However, after disecting them and searching the plant, I was not able to locate any male cones on this particular type of bush.

Ck-Gymnosperms

Tree [].JPG
What: This is a picture of a gymnoperm (pine tree)
Where: I found this tree on my street.
So: I choose this tree because the branches where lower to the ground for me to see the female/male cones easier.

Ck-Male Cone

Male [].JPG
What: This is a picture of a male cone on a pine tree
Where: I found this on my street with a group of other pine trees
So: I thought it was very interesting that the smaller microsporangia tend to be produced lower then the larger megasporangia to encourage cross pollination.

CK- Female Cone

Female [].JPG

What: This is a picture of a female cone from a pine tree.
Where: I choose this tree out of a row of them along my street.
So: I choose this cone which was a younger female cone on the tree then some of the others. I found it interesting that each scale bears two ovules.

Hort 1001 - Plant Prop - Female Cone

suzan.jpg

What: Female Cone

Where: Shoreview, MN

So: Representation of male cone from previous plant (Pine Tree). In particular, the female cone (megastrobilus, seed cone, or ovulate cone) contains ovules within which, when fertilized by pollen, become seeds. The female cone structure varies more markedly between the different conifer families.

Hort 1001 - Plant Prop - Male Cone

SOK.jpg

What: Male Cone (from previous image)

Where: Shoreview, MN

So: Representation of male cone from previous plant (Pine Tree). In particular, the male cone (microstrobilus or pollen cone) is structurally similar across all conifers, differing only in small ways (mostly in scale arrangement) from species to species. Extending out from a central axis are microsporophylls (modified leaves). Under each microsporophyll is one or several microsporangia (pollen sacs).

Hort 1001 - Plant Prop - Gymnosperm

SK.jpg

What: Gymnosperm plant

Where: Shoreview, MN

So: Representation of Gymnosperm plant, in particular, this pine tree. Note that a Gymnosperm is part of the group of spermatophyte seed-bearing plants with ovules on the edge or blade of an open sporophyll, which are usually arranged in cone-like structures. This pine tree, or conifer, is a representation of such.

Quantitative Traits -- Apple Diameters

apples.jpg

Continue reading "Quantitative Traits -- Apple Diameters" »

Ck Peapod Size

CK.jpg
What: Pea pods
Where: From the grocery store
So. These pea pods are showing the quantitative trait of size. All three of these pods are different sizes. The difference may have been caused by environmental conditions affecting the plant, or when the pod was picked etc.

Hort 1001 - Quantitative Traits

Skennedy.jpg

What: Depiction of group of flowering plants

Where: Hopkins, MN

So: Representation of flowering plants. The quantitative trait of the flowering plants that will be determined is the fleshy seed weight. The weight, number of flowers, and frequency will be assessed.

quantitative traits---Alyssum

IMGP2712.JPG

what:quantitative traits in plant
where: my home
so: I planted couple different colors (pink and white) of alyssum last summer and each color was planted in different pots. Those pots were close to each other. Right now, I take a look again and found a flower head shows a mix of pink and white. I think these different color of alyssum were cross pollinated and some carry white trait and some carry pink trait.