Extra Credit Evaluations

Hi! I don't know if anyone else is having trouble, but I'm unable to take the two evaluations that are posted at the bottom of the homepage...it just says they're unavailable.

Protecting the pistil in plant breeding

I was wondering how one would go about protecting the pistil until the ovary begins to swell? (lecture 26)

Very good site for understanding Plant life cycles

http://8e.devbio.com/article.php?id=268

Go check out these graphs!
Explains the life cycles and how mitosis and meosis fit in with it.
-angiosperms
-mosses
-ferns

angiosprerm explanation

just wanted to share - I found a page that explains angiosperms really well, and visually:

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/courses/bio106/angio.htm

Freezing trees...

I have been pondering how trees keep water from freezing and possibly exploding vascular cells like the vessels and tracheids in xylem. I can only imagine bark acts as an insulator, but is very thin on younger and more vulnerable growth. I also believe that transpiration is still happening, so moving water is harder to freeze. Still, I don't think that adequately explains how 20 below wind chills during the overnight hours don't freeze the water inside tree trunks. Does it just freeze and not adversely affect the plant?

Monocot vs. Dicot

Hey everyone! I have a question that's...maybe not exactly relevant to what we're doing right now in the class. But I was reading one of the online pages for lecture 11, and it said that monocot flower parts come in multiples of three. So I was wondering whether a Trillium was a monocot or a dicot. I suppose it is relevant to the class, because I can't figure out how to tell which one it is from looking it up on the internet. Should I be able to use its scientific classification to figure it out?

Thanks,
Renee

online review

Tom,
You talked about the online review for the midterm.
Could you tell me when it is going to be again,thanks?
Yaling

Lab report question

I am wondering if I am supposed to print off the lab report and fill it out or copy/paste a document so that I can email it. I am assuming it's a print and bring to class kind of arrangement.

Blog comments

Hi, Tom,

I just noticed on this weeks assignment that you mentioned giving points for comments. Are we supposed to be posting at least one comment every single week to receive full credit for the blog postings? Do we get extra points for extra comments? Is it possible to make up for the ones we missed? What kind of comments are you looking for?

Thanks,
Mary

Lab reading mixup

I was going through the lab readings and the website listed on page 47 takes you to Part II of the reading, but does not show Part I, which is the only one we're supposed to read. I'll probably bring this up in lab tomorrow anyway, just wanted to see if anyone else found that, too.

Survey

I can't seem to open the survey, there is no link on the buttons for me to press...

"time or space"

As I was reading the photo assignment, I was confused about capturing seed dispersal in time or space. Could someone explain that in a bit more detail? Then...once I know about the time or space, do our photos have to be one of each, one time dispersal, one space dispersal?
Thanks, Renee

quiescence

Hi, Tom,

What is the exact difference between a dormant and a quiescent seed? I'm still unclear about this. Will you also remind me which text this was in? I remember a sentence about it, but can't seem to find it right now.

Thanks,
Mary

2 Pictures, 1 Post

I received a comment on my post from someone asking how to get two pictures into the same post, and I felt like more of you might be wondering as well. On the last step in the process of uploading a picture there are options for uploading the picture into a new entry and for being shown the html for the picture. They automatically check the new entry option, so you need to switch it to the html option. When you do this they will show you a line or two of text which you need to copy/paste into the body of your entry and you'll be set to go!

Approving Comments

I had a comment on one of my photos, and Webvista sent an email to have me approve it. I think I did, but has anyone else needed to approve a comment and if so, how did you do it?
Thanks!