Recently in Notable News Category

Roethlisberger violated policy

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said Monday that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger violated the NFL's personal conduct policy.

Goodell decided that he needed to do something about the quarterback, since this is the second time in a year that Roethisberger has made the news, regarding sexual assault, according to USA Today.

"The issue here is with respect to a pattern of behavior and bad judgments," Goodell said on the Dan Patrick radio show, according to Espn.

Goodell declined to mention when and what he would do to discipline Roethlisberger, but did say that there will be consequences for his actions that took place at a Georgia nightclub in March, according to Espn.

"I make the decision when I'm prepared to do so," Goodell said, according to USA Today.

No charges filed against Roethlisberger

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will not be charged with sexaul assault after an incident with a 20-year-old outside a Georgia nightclub last month.

The accusations made by the 20-year-old female proved to not be enough evidence to convict Roethlisberger, District Attorney Fred Bright said, according to Espn.

A letter from the accuser's lawyer also said that she did not want to press charges, according to Espn.

The investigation showed that the accuser was highly intoxicated that night. She went to the hospital after the alleged incident, where the doctor examining her could not prove that a sexaul assault had taken place, according to USA Today.

Roethlisberger was investigated to the fullest extent of the law and was not given special treatment because of his celebrity status, according to USA Today.

Woods denies using HGH

Tiger Woods told reporters Monday that he never received human growth hormones (HGH) from Dr. Anthony Galea, who is under federal investigation.

Galea is currently under a federal investigation for providing HGH to athletes, according to USA Today.

Woods was treated by Galea in 2008 and 2009 for his knee and achilles tendon. Galea provided blood treatment therapy, which sped up the healing process for Woods, according to USA Today.

"I've never taken any illegal drug in my life," Woods said, according to Espn.

Federal agents have not directly contacted Woods about the investigation. Woods said he would help the investigators out, if he is contacted, according to Espn.

Coach is out after 13 years

Boston College and men's basketball coach Al Skinner decided to mutually part ways with each other last Wednesday.

The announcement was not mentioned until recently, due to Skinner being interviewed by St. John's University for the same position. Boston College officials say the reason for the quietness was so that Skinner could gain employment, according to The New York Times.

"Change is good sometimes. How many basketball coaches have been in the same position for 13 years? Very, very few," Gene DeFillpo, Boston College athletic director, said, according to Espn.

The agreement to part ways comes in wake of the Eagles first round loss in the Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament, according to Espn.

Skinner has the most wins in school history. He compiled a record of 247-165 over 13 seasons and led the Eagles to seven NCAA tournament births since 2001, according to The New York Times.

Mid-major coach gets major deal

University of Northern Iowa's basketball coach Ben Jacobson received a new contract just a few days after the victory against Kansas.

After the upset win against the Jayhawks in the NCAA tournament this past weekend, the university decided to lock-up the coach through the year 2020. His existing contract only has him signed through 2016, according to USA Today.

The contract will pay Jacobson $450,000 each season with $25,000 increases as the years go on, according to Espn.

"I'm thrilled to sign this new deal," Jacobson said. "The University of Northern Iowa is a special place made so by great people," according to USA Today.

Roethlisberger claims innocence

An attorney for Pittsburgh Steeler's quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said that he is innocent of being accused of sexual assault that allegedly happened at a Georgia nightclub over the weekend.

A 20-year-old student at Georgia College and State University alleges that she was sexually assaulted by Roethlisberger early Friday, though no charges have been filed yet, according to Espn.

Police say that they are preforming an investigation into the matter, and they will release all of the facts once the process is complete, according to USA Today.

"The facts show that there was no criminal activity. No sexual assault occurred," attorney Ed Garland said on Monday, according to Espn.

Roethlisberger is also being sued by a woman accusing him of rape stemming from an alleged incident at Lake Tahoe in 2008, which he strongly denies, according to USA Today.

Shaq out for two months

Cleveland Cavilers center Shaquille O'Neal had surgery on his right thumb and is likely to miss the rest of the regular season.

O'Neal met with Dr. Thomas Graham of the National Hand Center in Baltimore on Sunday, where Graham performed the surgery the following day, according to The New York Times.

The veteran center is expected to be out about eight weeks, which puts him in jeopardy to miss the beginning of the playoffs, according to Espn.

O'Neal has been averaging 12 points and 6.7 rebounds per game in 53 games this season, and is considered a major role within the Cavilers' scheme, according to Espn.

On his Twitter page, O'Neal gave the fans some hope regarding when he returns to the court,''Will be out for a min but when I return it is on,'' O'Neal said, according to The New York Times.

Ramirez won't be a Dodger next season

Los Angeles Dodger's left-fielder Manny Ramirez told reporters Monday that he is unlikely to return to the team after this upcoming season.

Ramirez is not ruling out the possibility of playing baseball next season, but the slugger did confirm that he is most likely not going to return to the Dodgers, according to Espn.

"I won't be here next year, so I just want to enjoy myself," Ramirez said, according to Espn.

Ramirez is in the final year of his 2 year $45 million dollar contract. He realizes that if he is a dominant offensive force this season, which has been the story of his career, that the Dodgers are not going to have a lucrative contract ready for him, due to their uncertain financial situation, according to The New York Times.

What Ramirez does know is that he feels good about the way he prepared for this upcoming season. "From the waist down, I feel 15," Ramirez said. "From the neck up, I feel 43. I feel good," according to Espn.

Miller gets bronze

Bode Miller won the bronze medal in the men's downhill skiing competition at the Winter Olympics on Monday.

Winning the bronze is considered a major improvement compared to what happened to Miller four years ago when he was making more headlines about his late-night party habits than the events he competed in at the Winter Olympics in Italy, according to Espn.

It was a huge relief to execute and ski well," Miller said. "Obviously it would've been great to be a little faster. I was psyched. I skied hard.", according to Espn.

This was the third medal that Miller has won during his time competing at the Olympics, which makes him the most decorated downhill skier in U.S. Olympic history, according to USA Today.

Calhoun is back

University of Connecticut Head Coach Jim Calhoun returned to his regular duties Thursday after more than three weeks of absence.

The Huskies went 3-4 during his absence, and the people of Storrs, Conn., think that his return is much needed, according to Espn.

"I both felt that the time away was important for my personal and professional well-being and that I am ready to move ahead from this point at full speed," Calhoun said, according to Espn.

School officials said on Thursday that Calhoun's leave of absence had nothing to do with his three bouts with cancer or heart problems that, in the past, have caused him to miss some of the basketball season, according to USA Today.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Notable News category.

National News is the previous category.