LIRASP

BEFORE:
I have never ridden the light rail before. I assume it will be just like a public bus but only it will go faster and not have to be ever stuck in traffic. I'm not sure of who rides the light rail, but I'm sure living in Minneapolis right now, there will be a large diverse crowd.
AFTER:
I loved how simple it was to just buy your ticket electronically and get on the light rail. When I got on, two policemen immediately asked to see my ticket. However, on the way back, there was no one to check. It's kind of like an honor system which I thought was different. However, I heard the fine for not having a ticket is huge so I figure it's always better to be safe than sorry. I disagree however that during busy times they charge you $1.75 versus $1.25 during non peak hours. It doesn't cost the light rail anymore to run back and forth during busy times than it does during off peak times but, I guess when you look at it, it's only $.50 more.
I got off at the Metrodome station which was very busy. I loved how close it dropped me off to the Metrdome. Also, taking the light rail saved me from paying for parking and waiting in traffic. When I rode the light rail for the first time on Friday, it was so busy because there was a Twins game going on that night. There were people everywhere dressed in red and blue and loud music was playing. There were vendors selling caramel corn, hot dogs, and booklets all over the place. The caramel corn smelled so good that it tempted me to buy some, but I didn't give in!
The city surrounds the dome and so there is such a big mix of all different races of people. Lots of people around me were speaking in different languages going to all different places with all different backgrounds.
I realize how much people exhibit somnambulism. I think sometimes we all get stuck inside our own little world and think that everyone and everything revolves around us. I think doing something you've never done before, even riding the light rail, can make you realize that there is a whole world out there with billions of people you've never met, billions of places you've never been, languages you've never heard, and problems you've never faced. I think everyone, including myself, should try to step out of their box and out of their comfort zone every now and then and really experience life. There is so much out there to learn and discover. This project was definitely an eye opener.

P.S. I took a picture with my camera phone and tried to send it to myself and upload it and that did not work. Also, I am on a computer in the library and I tried to copy and paste a link or a picture and I also had trouble so here is the site: http://metrotransit.org/rail/stations/04_metrodome.asp. This link also talks about the station/light rail system. Another site to take a look at is: http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/citywork/light-rail/

Posted by mies0012 at April 12, 2005 2:12 PM