Forgot to post week 4

Flickr is very similar to snapfish, which I use already. This is a neat way to share photos with friends and family. The one neat thing about flickr is that it uses picnik for editing. I thought picnik was a neat program.

signing off

Ryan

Last Entry

Well, all done. This course was relatively painless and proved to be quite informative. I learned about many of the "newer" technologies available to help with extension work. The depth on each topic was just about right because some technologies will be more useful than others, and we didn't end up wasting time on something that might not be useful. That said the optional challenges provided opportunity for us to learn more about technology that will likely have more application. Good Job Amy. I would definitely take a course like this again.

Lesson 10

Neil and I worked on the UMConnect together. This could be used as a collaboration tool (i.e. inhouse) or for presentations to outside audiences. Pretty neat.

Bailout fails to pass

Kind of interesting, when I went to the public timeline I foundout that the bailout bill had failed to pass the house and the stock market had hit the skids. When I hit refresh I learned that some woman likes to eat three egg omletes, in fact, she included the recipe: one egg, two egg whites, 1 cup spinach, and a 1/4 cup feta.

Currently I am having a hard time seeing an application for this technology in what I do. Although it was nice to be exposed and maybe some day I'll need it.

Myspace

I could see some opportunities for social networking. I think the audience might be somewhat limited

Catching up on week 7 material

I spent a little time catching up on lessons this morning. The three productivity tools I tried are jing, picnik, and google docs. All three would be useful in some fashion. Jing could have applications in explain something without a wordy email. Picnik provides some basic photo editing, not quite photoshop but useful nonetheless. Google docs was quite amazing. I will try using google docs to collaborate on a group project, it should be able to eliminate messy email communications.

Wiki

Wikis could be a great resource.

Podcasts or Podcrap?

The biggest issue with podcasts is that unless the cast is affiliated with some institution or organization you know and trust you are likely to get questionable material. What do I mean by questionable material? The podcast material is likely to be technically unsound and politically or emotionally driven.

I chose the friday DTN wrap-up for my podcast assignment, it provided a good agricultural update from the past week.

Ryan

RSS feeds

Piece of cake. RSS will make using blog resources more efficient.

Hot and Dry

This crop could use some rain.

http://climate.umn.edu/doc/journal/dry_mid-summer_2008.htm