The Break

Rehovot had its first rainfall last night. That's my assumption, anyway, since for the first time since I arrived, I awoke to the unique shushing of tires on wet pavement outside my window. Just a light shower, probably, since the streets were barely damp by the time I left the building.

They tell me it's a bit early for rain. December's the rainy season, evidently.

Clearly a good sign, at any rate. According to this morning's email, NASA has approved our group's proposal, so this contraption I'm helping design should actually get built. Now we can stop biting our nails and bask in the land of the funded.

Where by bask, I of course mean to evoke an arduous multi-year race against our grant's clock and our collegues' competing projects.

(Updated 18-11-2004)

Late update: 18-11-2004 23:05

Nice thing living in a country where nothing's actually designed for rain. Yesterday the clouds returned and delivered a veritable monsoon -- if I read the (Hebrew) rainfall totals correctly, many areas received over a centimeter of rain, resulting in widespread flooding. The street running down the hill outside my dorm was practically a sluice. And my apartment, my second-floor apartment, was a lake!

No, the water wasn't meters deep. But the architects seem to have neglected to consider that water does sometimes issue from the sky. Our balconies, you see, have rather poor drainage, and not so much as a lintel separating them from our bedrooms. And thusly does one come home to find the floor uniformly covered in a centimeter of water. Now I understand why all the furniture seems to either have metal legs or be up on plastic wheels.

So maybe we'll invest in some sandbags. But no damage done (at least to my stuff), and thankfully the room dries out pretty quickly, what with the linoleum floors and brick molding.

So, like Scav Hunt, but in the long term and funded?

This page contains a single entry by Milligan published on November 16, 2004 5:11 PM.

Denouement was the previous entry in this blog.

Phases is the next entry in this blog.