Superposition

I'm in for a bit of calendrical dissonance this week. As many of you are aware, this is the Christian Holy Week, culminating in the Easter Triduum this weekend. Center of the liturgical year and all that.

On the other hand you have Purim, a relatively minor holiday that serves as the rough counterpart of Carnivale or Mardi Gras. A day of feasting and merriment mandated in the Book of Esther. Actually two days, since as I understand it walled cities celebrate the day after everyone else.

Normally at this time of year we would be approaching Passover, but the Jewish lunisolar calendar is a curious thing. This happens to be a leap year, which means an extra month(!) is added in the spring, pushing Passover (properly, Pesach) back into late April. The end result is that, purely by chance, Easter and Purim fall on the same weekend this year.

I'm still debating the ecclesiastical implications of being dragged to a costume party on Maundy Thursday.

When in Rome Milligan.... When in Rome. Plus Purim sounds like more fun anyway.

This page contains a single entry by Milligan published on March 23, 2005 4:23 PM.

Shalom Achshav was the previous entry in this blog.

Purim Claus is the next entry in this blog.