Traitors

While I generally leave the politicking to the (many, many) commentators having more time and qualifications than myself, this is just too egregious to pass without comment.

The Senate has just voted to strip Bush's detainees of access to the courts, among other things bringing an effective end to the right of Habeas Corpus. And the kicker?

The five Democrats voting for the bill were Senators Joseph I. Lieberman of Connecticut, Mary L. Landrieu of Louisiana, Ben Nelson of Nebraska, Kent Conrad of North Dakota and Ron Wyden of Oregon.

Now just down the road the citizens of St. Paul overwhelmingly voted to chuck their (Democratic) mayor out on his ear, basically because be betrayed the party and endorsed Bush in 2004. I'll grant you, Nebraska is no Democratic bastion like the Twin Cities (although Connecticut? Seriously?), but is it too much to ask that Democratic Senators not stand in active opposition to obvious and fundamental principles of justice?

This is why I claim to be a libertarian.

How do you figure that? Libertarians are not just Democrats that can be relied upon to put principle ahead of electioneering. There are major philosophical differences between the two parties. A pretty fundamental disagreement on the social role of government, for instance.

This page contains a single entry by Milligan published on November 11, 2005 12:10 AM.

Autumn Passing was the previous entry in this blog.

Autumn Passing II is the next entry in this blog.