National Security Letter

This is kind of old news, but a very interesting article nonetheless: national security and the permanent gag order.

Living under the gag order has been stressful and surreal. Under the threat of criminal prosecution, I must hide all aspects of my involvement in the case -- including the mere fact that I received an [national security letter] -- from my colleagues, my family and my friends. When I meet with my attorneys I cannot tell my girlfriend where I am going or where I have been. I hide any papers related to the case in a place where she will not look. When clients and friends ask me whether I am the one challenging the constitutionality of the NSL statute, I have no choice but to look them in the eye and lie.

I resent being conscripted as a secret informer for the government and being made to mislead those who are close to me, especially because I have doubts about the legitimacy of the underlying investigation.

On which topic, check out the plea agreement of David Hicks. An an Australian held illegally and allegedly abused at Guantanamo for five years, he'd become a bit of a diplomatic issue. So they convinced him to plea guilty to minor charges, and he gets to serve nine months in an Australian jail. One condition: he can't talk to the media, or make any claims of illegal treatment, for at least a year. Convenient -- Australian prime minister John Howard is up for election in nine months!

Except apparently the Aussie attorney general can't think of how to enforce such a condition, and thus doesn't anticipate extraditing Hicks should be choose to ignore it.

This page contains a single entry by Milligan published on April 14, 2007 8:09 AM.

Farewell, Kurt Vonnegut was the previous entry in this blog.

Bomb? Sigh. is the next entry in this blog.