December and the Busy Blogger

First of December, and right on cue it's snowing. A lot. Apparently there is some concern that, now that everything is all white, there will be a mad rush to set up camp on the lakes, and the authorities would like to publicize that the ice isn't all that thick yet. So don't do that.

These Minnesotans, sometimes they baffle me greatly.

I think I just need to acknowledge that, between now and when EBEX flies sometime next year, blogging hereabouts is going to be somewhat intermittent. There's just a great deal to do in the last half-year before an experiment (literally) takes flight. That said, there are a few forms of content that more-or-less produce themselves. For one thing, I still burn through an awful lot of political writing online, and I should really get back in the habit of flagging the better bits here. Astrophotography always seems popular.

For another, slightly longer-term, project that could generate a lot of posts, I've been thinking for a while that I need to get with the Web 2.0 and get my photo archive online. I'm less likely to lose them to a disk crash (and thousands of hi-res photos do start to use some disk space) that way, plus Flickr now has geo-tagging features that would let me, for instance, display maps tagged with the locations where photos were taken. Which I think would be really cool, even if the actual tagging would be a bit time-consuming. No great hurry, though. Maybe my next camera will have a built-in GPS.

It's a real pity that I'm not allowed to say all that much in public about my research, because there's a lot of interesting things going on here. Me, I think a blog about the months leading up to a major balloon-experiment flight would make for moderately interesting reading. I guess you'll have to watch the BLAST documentary whenever it finally comes out to get the flavor of the process.

I think it's a shame you can't talk publicly about your research. It's free publicity! It's getting the experiment out there, discussed, years before papers are produced. We have people working on TRACER and CREAM talk about their work to the astronomy club, and it's wonderful public outreach and education. What are the odds one of these people will in the future be the funding decision for some future balloon experiment?

I'm amazed such a blanket on discussion was produced, especially if it was by a professor.

Just to clarify, we can and do give informal talks within our department about my group's research. However, anything for wider dissemination (and blogs have been explicitly mentioned) would have to go through a vetting process. You'll forgive me if I don't feel like getting a Co-I to sign off on my blog posts.

And yes, my advisor has occasionally expressed frustration that EBEX doesn't seem to be more widely known. He has a deeply impaired sense of irony.

This page contains a single entry by Milligan published on December 1, 2007 12:07 PM.

In New York was the previous entry in this blog.

XML Tree Pruning is the next entry in this blog.