Recently in 2007 Texas Category

Christmas in Texas

columns_caroling.jpg
The sister and dad waiting for the rest of the carolers to arrive at our Posada's starting point last night.

Obviously, catching up with family and eating foolish quantities of tamales and fruitcake take precedence over blogging. But I do want to mention that the yearly Posada was a hit as always. I can only assume that for most people it's quite rare for carolers to wander by and sing at your doorstep, because newcomers to the neighborhood are generally delighted but also confused by the whole affair. In our culture, after all, it's almost never a good thing when somebody knocks on your door unexpectedly. Even if it's just your neighbors. I guess that's been true for a while, though, if you listen to the lyrics of A-Wassailing:

We are not daily beggars who beg from door to door / but we are neighbors' children whom you have seen before!

So merry Christmas or preferred holiday of choice, everyone! I'll be here in Texas, thawing out, for the next week.

Davis Mountains

Most of last week was spent roughly within the frame of this panorama. To the left, the white building is the Lodge at the Davis Mountains State Park. If you look closely at the mountaintops on the right, you probably can't make out the domes of the McDonald Observatory on Mount Locke and Mount Fowlkes. Clicking on the image below will get you a larger version in which they're easier to see. Relevant but not shown are the town of Fort Davis, around the other side of the ridge I'm standing on, and neighboring environs such as Marfa to the south.

I've never seen these mountains so green. This year the monsoon rains of the coastal plain have penetrated deep into the desert, and several afternoons were punctuated by abrupt deluges. The nights, however, reliably cleared to a sparkling black, ideal for stargazing and meteor-hunting. Here it's nightfall that seems to bring on the downpours, and since I'm posting this you can tell the power managed to stay on.

davis-pano.jpg
Panorama of the Davis Mountains. Click for gigantic version.

Where I Lived

I ran across this article a few weeks back -- apparently the neighborhood where my parents live is where tourists to San Antonio should really be spending their time. Southtown San Antonio has been discovered by a New York Times travel writer, and gets a pretty decent write-up.

I'll give them this -- Taco Haven really is where it's at for quality breakfast tacos.

Geographically speaking, I grew up in this neighborhood. Back then it was generally "King William and environs", this Southtown nomenclature being a more recent innovation. (I seem to recall a period while I was in high school when some enterprising soul tried to get people to call the place SoHo, since it is also near a Houston Street, and while this thankfully didn't stick the impulse behind Southtown is undoubtedly similar.) Actually, it was mostly "King William", plus the tracks and the projects and the unimproved section of the river -- i.e. stuff nobody from outside the area gave much thought to. Now the area's forged a coherent (external) identity, the coffee shops and art galleries are generally breaking even, and the city's pouring resources into the infrastructure. The changes since I left continue to startle.

Not that the trajectory wasn't clear long ago. My parents arrived with a wave of writers and other creative types who came for the old houses and depressed property values. In hindsight, it's one of the few parts of San Antonio that the New Urbanists would approve of, having largely retained its foot-and-streetcar-centric design from the turn of the century. Not that much of anyone can actually go without a car, because the present-day bus service is fairly useless as an actual mass-transit system. Nevertheless, it's been vaguely stodgy-bohemian for a while, in exactly the sort of way that gradually attracts the house restorers, coffee shop and restaurant entepreneurs, and eventually the Blue Star art complex (think the Minneapolis Warehouse District, but with more grain elevators). Around then the city built a massive stadium across the highway from the projects, and then decided that the projects had to go. Fifteen years or so later the place is hip, from what I gather, and now it just has to walk a tightrope between succeeding in spite of San Antonio's typically crappy economy and gentrifying out all the interesting people.

A final note: according to the correction appended to the bottom of that article the Pig Stand is closed. Has been for ages, in fact. However, the Pig is still there. (I didn't have a photo of this thing, but seek on Flickr and ye shall find.)

This page is an archive of recent entries in the 2007 Texas category.

2007 Science is the previous category.

2008 Narrative is the next category.