Recently in 2009 Science Category

Out to Lunch

Yes, the ongoing series of somewhat disjointed posts shall continue, as I still read a lot and constantly run across things that I'd like to share, but with a ballooning campaign coming up in a month or so, I really don't have time to work up extended narratives on the subject(s). Running with Connor's delightful street fair metaphor, EGAD is out to lunch, but on the bulletin board by the entrance there's an activity list of self-guided adventures you might enjoy. To wit:

Heads up, comet fans: Comet 2007 N3 (Lulin) makes its closest approach to Earth today. It's been quite photogenic, and currently at sixth magnitude and skirting past Saturn should be an easy target. Keep an eye on Spaceweather.com for the latest.

An addendum to last week's thoughts on digital signals: an in-depth introduction to the MP3 format. While only the extremely bored or those trying to write an MP3 player from scratch will want to read the whole thing, it's quite interesting to skim if you want an idea of how those ubiquitous MP3 files manage to cram hundreds of CDs worth of music onto your hard drive, and the compromises that make them sufficiently annoying to work with that people keep inventing alternatives.

An endlessly fascinating online museum exhibit: Visible Embryos is a project of the University of Cambridge. Today, the image of the human embryo and fetus is common, widely used in scientific, political, and cultural contexts, but the first reasonably accurate images of the pre-natal human were only drawn about 200 years ago. The exhibit charts the developing human image of the developing human from late medieval monsters to test tube babies and abortion propaganda.

And speaking of images (and the corresponding weight of words) GOOD Magazine collects a great deal of vehicle fuel consumption data into one flawed but educational plot. A pity that they left out airships and pirate schooners, but appreciate how well this chart emphasizes a key point: by any reasonable standard, the bicycle is the most energy efficient form of transportation in existence. (No fair pointing to downhill skiing, either -- you have to count the energy used by the lift too.)

A couple of notes on local politics. Norm Coleman continues to refuse to leave the spotlight despite having essentially no chance of being declared the winner here -- he's being generously funded by the national Republican party as a cheap trick to keep Al Franken's presumptive seat vacant. I recently ran across an essay on Norm written by Garrison Keillor back in 2002 when he beat Walter Mondale for the seat. A good read and somewhat prescient: "...Norm is a slick retail campaigner, the grabbiest and touchingest and feelingest politician in Minnesota history... Was elected mayor of St. Paul as a moderate Democrat, then swung comfortably over to the Republican side. There was no dazzling light on the road to Damascus, no soul-searching: Norm switched parties as you'd change sport coats. ...To choose Coleman over Walter Mondale is one of those dumb low-rent mistakes, like going to a great steakhouse and ordering the tuna sandwich. But I don't envy someone who's sold his soul. He's condemned to a life of small arrangements. There will be no passion, no joy, no heroism, for him. He is a hollow man."

On a more encouraging note, just the other day my representative, Keith Ellison, became the first U.S. legislator to enter the Gaza strip in over two years; no congressional delegations have visited that fraught patch of land since Hamas took power and Israel placed it under siege. Given how much is tied up in or connected to the Israeli-Palestinian dispute, Gaza seems like the sort of place we ignore at our considerable peril.

Finally: Russian schoolgirl asks Vladimir Putin for guinea pig, embarrasses local officials over ensuing Kafka-esque ordeal, gets guinea pigs for her trouble.

And a photo for getting this far.

denver-airport-night.jpg
The Denver International Airport is rather a curious sight at night.

Digital

Stop me if you've heard this one.

So the infinite monkeys that have been working on the next version of Windows walk into a bar. The first one in line says, "Hey, give me a banana martini," and the barkeep goes to make one. Before he's even finished making that one, the second one says, "I'm watching my intake, I'll have half what he's having." Right behind that monkey, the next one says, "Same here, I'll have half what the second fellow is having." The bartender pauses to take in the infinite line stretching out the door, says "To heck with this," and puts two martinis on the bar.

I spent a chunk of this week re-learning various interesting things about digital signal processing, which (naturally) can be done quite conveniently in python these days. (Don't worry, I'll resist the urge to write import skynet in any programs.) In theory, if you type import scipy you can make python do anything Matlab can. While I'm still fundamentally suspicious of syntactically significant whitespace -- although I'm not about to revive that particular Great Internet Debate -- python has actually edged out perl as my go-to high level language of choice these days. The only excuse I have left to muck around in perl these days is maintaining PageCaptain, and to be honest, I've been severely delinquent on that front this year anyway.

Speaking of things digital, now that February 18th has passed, the great digital TV transition is underway. As one of the 15% or so of households still using over-the-air broadcast television, this has been of great interest to the roomies. While our rabbit ears pull in all but the two weakest stations reasonably well, the more couch-spud inclined of them have been agitating for an antenna upgrade. I might build one of these in that case. The Gray-Hoverman antenna is a nice example of Moore's Law enabling ever larger groups of people to do stuff that was the province of professionals until quite recently, in this case, design and optimize high-gain antennas. Back when the ham radio operators did this sort of thing on a regular basis, antenna tuning was considered among the highest of black arts.

Okay, that's enough of that. I'll leave you with a video that Elena showed me recently:

Music video to Schweine by Glukoza Nostra, from youtube

This page is an archive of recent entries in the 2009 Science category.

2009 Politics is the previous category.

Entrances to the Labyrinth is the next category.