Revisions observation

Note to self: print out the Walls essay so you can do revisions offline.

Something I've discovered about working 12-hour days on a computer -- I'm kind of sick of sitting down at computers by the time I get out of the office / lab. This makes it difficult to do, e.g., essay revisions or other composition work in digital form. I may need to revert to hardcopy just so I have the option of working on it out on the lawn or in the dorm common areas.

Hazards of being a grad student. This has also played havoc with my development schedule for my software projects. Hopefully this difficulty will resolve somewhat by next year if I'm spending more time working on hardware in the lab.

Posted by mill1974 at 2:25 AM

Astrophotography category

Just a note for sometime when I've got some spare time:

I should create an astrophotography category on EGAD, and add it as a secondary category to all of the various astro shot posts.

Posted by mill1974 at 4:53 PM

Tangled Bank

Tangled Bank #29 will be hosted at Organic Matter this coming June 1. My recent EGAD post Optical Design would be a good submission.

Also, it would be interesting to pull together a good post on the geohydrology of the Levant and aquifers, and how they relate to human water supplies. This would tie together Water (on the water dimension of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict) and Still Thinking About Water (which contrasts Phoenix's water plight to the aforementioned) with some actual science. That would also be a good Tangled Bank submission, but I might not get to that until after June 1.

Posted by mill1974 at 3:20 PM

Linguistic Profile

It would appear that my usage of the English language has remained relatively unimpacted by spending quite some years in the Midwest. Interesting, though, that I exhibit so many more "Yankee" versus "Dixie" usages, considering that I have never lived in the Northeast. On the other hand, they don't have a category for "Texan," which from all accounts is quite distinct from broader Southern usage.

Your Linguistic Profile:

55% General American English
30% Yankee
10% Dixie
5% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern
What Kind of American English Do You Speak?
Posted by mill1974 at 6:37 PM

Batman is my savior

Priceless article in the Onion this week panning the Scientologists.

For classic absurdity, this quote wins:

"My personal savior is Batman," said Beverly Hills plastic surgeon Greg Jurgenson. "My wife chooses to follow the teachings of the Gilmore Girls. ..."

"Sure, it's total bullshit," Jurgenson added. "But that's Fictionology. Praise Batman!"

Whereas the toastiest clam-baking looks like this:

"Scientology is rooted in strict scientific principles, such as the measurement of engrams in the brain by the E-Meter," Kurz said. "Scientology uses strictly scientific methodologies to undo the damage done 75 million years ago by the Galactic Confederation's evil warlord Xenu—we offer our preclear followers procedures to erase overts in the reactive mind. Conversely, Fictionology is essentially just a bunch of make-believe nonsense."
Posted by mill1974 at 9:51 PM

Left Behind

Via John M's LJ, I acquired this link which is basically a page-by-page review/commentary/trashing of the Left Behind series (in principle; Slacktivist has only managed to trudge through 100 or so pages in a year).

Interesting reading; makes quite compellingly the case that the Rapture, and Evangelicalism in general (at least insofar as it is represented by the Left Behind books, which at least a certain wing of it is) represent an extremely pernicious heresy from the standpoint of any reasonable Christian doctrinal system.

Handy term for the notion, too: Pre-Millennial Dispensationalist Theology

Posted by mill1974 at 9:47 PM

Questions for Connor

1. How were the ScavHunt All-Stars ranked?
  2. What's with the hearts on the US road map?
  3. What's up with the map covered in cuneiform?
Posted by mill1974 at 11:44 PM

PageCapt retrospective

In the aftermath of the Hunt, two categories of problem present themselves:

(Mind you, this is all separate from general complaints such as, "the site isn't very usable or intuitive." I know that already.)

Tasks People Couldn't Do

That is, things that needed to be done, but were impossible to do through the web interface. For instance,

• Edit items. Now that we can input them, proofreading and correction seems mandatory.

Questions People Couldn't Ask

As opposed to things to do, these are questions people wanted to ask of the database, for which I had to manually log in and execute an SQL query to extract an answer (or, in a couple of cases, compose a custom page).

• Which items' comments contain a key word?
  • Show me the phone number / meal points / talents for all users.
  • Which users use a keyword in their connections / talents?
  • Which users live in Burton-Judson?