Rejected word of the year of the week

This week's rejected word of the year candidate: Wherefore. This is not a word I made up, but to be a word of the year, a word need not be new, it just needs to have been big that year. Make no mistake, even though this is a rejected word of the year, I plan on using this word plenty this year. Wherefore, you might ask? Well, first, I'll thank you for already adding it to your vocabulary. And to answer your question, because it's fun to talk like a Shakesperean character. Second, you probably already know that using big, specific, and relatively unknown words to speak very precisely can make you sound out of touch and over-educated. Well, this is a big word that doesn't even make your message any more precise, so people will know right away you are just a pretentious dick.

"Wherefore is this word rejected?" you might ask, clearly trying to impress me, although your efforts are growing tiresome. Well, as awesome as this word is, and as full of a resurgence as it will make, I'm not sure it reaches word of the year status. A word of the year needs to be on the pulse of the hot concepts of the year, e.g. "truthiness" from this past year. While I expect asking "why" to be a huge concept this year, it's sort of always been that way. There's never been a time where people were like,
"Why are we attacking this foreign country that has no relation to 9/11?"
"Hush, you! We're not asking 'why' questions this year." Posted by mill1991 at January 24, 2006 11:04 PM