Things I'm thankful for

Once again, it's time for the annual list of things I'm thankful for. Too often, we try to give ourselves credit for the good in our lives, not realizing that it is mainly the countless choice points that occurred before our existence that lead to our being born in very specific circumstances. Once we're actually born, all we can do is to take advantage of whatever good fortunes we've been given, and try not be too much of a fucking cunt. So, in that light, here are some things I'm thankful for:
  • I'm thankful that my mom decided to take her pregnancy to full term, even though I was an accident, my existence in her womb made her vomit profusely, and all preliminary tests indicated that I was going to be born mentally retarded.
  • I'm thankful that my dad was able to put his pride aside and go 9 months without punching my mother in the stomach too hard.
  • I'm thankful that my mother and father are both the smartest siblings in their respective families, both among the first in their families to graduate from college. However, to be the smartest in their families they probably didn't need to actually go to college - just learning cursive and not to eat paint probably got them most of the way there.
Don't even fucking dare tell me what you're thankful for.
Posted by mill1991 at 3:51 PM

Editorial cartoons

One of the funny things about editorial cartoons is that the artist always feels the need to write the name of what he's drawing on the depiction of it. In some cases this makes sense, like say if you're symbolizing inflation with a balloon or something. But sometimes there is just a label on top of a straightforward depiction, like "Bush" written on a picture of the president. In this case, the cartoonist is sort of like a three-year-old who draws a picture of his family and has to label every stick figure with "Mommy," "Daddy," and "Me" (of course, with the obligatory backwards 'e' in "me"). For example, this cartoon:

If you don't think you can draw the White House, then don't draw the White House. If you have to label everything you draw with what it is, maybe you picked the wrong career. But I could be wrong. Maybe the conceptual part of political cartoons is more important. Maybe I could even draw political cartoons - I follow politics (to ball all the chicks). Check out this commentary on the current state of affairs in the Bush administration (Copyright 2005).

Posted by mill1991 at 6:26 PM