« Call to raise driving age | Main | St. Kate's to become a University »

Omaha man dies from fatal bee sting reaction

Omaha man dies from fatal bee sting reaction

An Omaha man died Wednesday after being stung multiple times by honeybees, the Omaha World Herald reported.

Steven Parsow, the co-owner of a longtime Omaha clothing store was mowing his yard when he was stung and died at a local hospital after medics tried reviving him for 45 minutes, the Omaha World Herald said.

In an Associated Press article that ran in the Lincoln Journal Star it was reported Parsow was stung up to 15 times.

Parsow's wife, Debra Parsow, told the Omaha World Herald she was unaware of any allergies her husband had to bee stings.

Nationally, about 100 people die each year after being stung by a bee, Dr. Linda Ford, a Papillion allergy specialist told the Omaha World Herald.

The body can build up an allergic antibody to the bee venom.

"It takes awhile before the allergic antibody starts," Ford told the Omaha World Herald.

Symptoms of of an allergic reaction include swelling of the lips, eyes and throat. The person may also break out in hives, experience abdominal pain, have difficulty breathing and experience a drop in blood pressure.

Ford told the Omaha World Herald five stinging insects reside in the region - honeybees, yellowjackets, white-faced hornets, yellow hornets and wasps.