Analysis of 'Aussie Dollar Rises, Snaps 3-Day Drop, Before Wages Data'

For this week's analysis, I'm using the article "Aussie Dollar Rises, Snaps 3-Day Drop, Before Wages Data" from Bloomberg Businessweek.

Because this article was written for Bloomberg Businessweek, the author rightfully assumes particular qualities of his audience and writes accordingly. For that reason, some of the language was a bit unfamiliar to me. However, the parts in which the author used numbers and described the status of the Australian dollar were written at a more basic level.

The author used different types of figures to specifically detail the points that he introduced at the beginning of the article: that the Australian dollar is strengthening. He used percentages, explaining how much the Aussie dollar had risen, as well as decimals when describing specific amounts of money. He also used plain dollar amounts.

I will say that I was a bit overwhelmed by the amount of numbers the author used in some of his sentences. One of his paragraphs consisted of three sentences that were all incredibly heavy with numbers:
"The Aussie dollar rose 0.3 percent from last week to $1.0419 as of 3:06 p.m. in Sydney and strengthened 0.3 percent to 82.79 yen. It touched $1.0480 on Nov. 7, the highest since Sept. 21. New Zealand's currency gained 0.3 percent to 81.61 U.S. cents and added 0.2 percent to 64.85 yen."

Even though it is obviously important for all these details to be conveyed to the reader, I wonder if there might have been a way to break up the information here so that the reader does not feel bombarded with numbers. I also felt confused by the last two sentences in this sentence: when exactly did New Zealand's currency gain 0.3 percent? Nov. 7? 3:06 p.m. in Sydney on Sunday? Sept. 21? It was difficult for me to keep this information straight among all the dates, percentages, numbers, and money.

As a non-business-minded person, I was also not clear on the source of all the numbers. The author specified that certain facts came from "the statistics bureau," "National Australia Bank Ltd." and "Interest-rate swaps data compiled by Bloomberg," but for all the information about the Aussie dollar rising, etc., the author just wrote "the data showed." I'm not sure which data he is referring to, but maybe everyone else does.

I'm not sure if the author crunched any math himself here, but he may have done some converting from raw numbers to percentages, etc. I do find it helpful that he includes different forms of numbers to paint a clear picture of the Aussie dollar changes, etc.