Olympians sweep Minnesota Grand Prix event

Olympic swimmers Ryan Lochte and Missy Franklin finished the Minnesota Grand Prix Sunday night with five victories each, news sources report.

This was the first major competition since the London Games for both Lochte, 28, and Franklin, 18. The Minnesota event was the first meet of the six-meet Grand Prix series. The Grand Prix features a mix of competitors: Olympians, post-collegiate swimmers and top age-group swimmers from around the country, The Examiner reported.

Lochte won the 200-yard freestyle and the 100-yard butterfly on Friday, the 100 backstroke on Saturday, and the 200 individual medley and the 200 backstroke on Sunday. Franklin won the 200-yard freestyle on Friday, the 50-yard freestyle and the 100 backstroke on Saturday, and the 200-yard backstroke and 100 freestyle on Sunday, the Associated Press reported.

"I'm pretty pleased with the outcome of all my races that I had at this meet," Lochte told the Associated Press. "It's just a little stepping stone for how well I want to do at short-course worlds."

Next month, Lochte and Franklin will compete at the 2012 FINA Short Course World Championships in Istanbul, The Examiner reported.

The event was held at the University Aquatic Center on the University of Minnesota campus. It began on Friday and concluded Sunday evening, the Associated Press reported.