Baby switched at hospital, breastfed by wrong mom

A newborn will undergo a year of tests for HIV and hepatitis after a Wednesday hospital mix-up resulted in the wrong mother breastfeeding him, news sources report.

Cody, the newborn son of Tammy Van Dyke, was accidentally put in the wrong bassinet in Abbott Northwestern Hospital, as the Pioneer Press reported.

"You put your baby in the nursery, not even 48-hours old, and you think they're safe," Van Dyke told ABC News. "I'm holding it together. I'm just in disbelief, and it was like I was in a dream, a bad dream, and I couldn't get it to stop," Van Dyke said, as ABC news reported.

Van Dyke was given the details of what had happened two hours after the incident occurred. She was just about to leave the hospital with her new baby, the Pioneer Press reported.

Cody had to immediately undergo blood testing for HIV and hepatitis. The tests came back negative, but the hospital told Van Dyke that Cody would need to return for blood testing every three months for the first year of his life, ABC News reported.

Hospital spokeswoman Gloria O'Connell said these tests were just a precaution. She could not say more because of patient confidentiality, ABC News reported.

Van Dyke spoke to the other mother, which she said gave her "peace of mind."
"She was just as distraught as me that this happened to her," Van Dyke said, as the Pioneer Press reported.

A letter of apology from Abbott Northwestern to Van Dyke read as follows: "Please accept this letter with our sincerest apologies for what occurred today at the hospital, that in the nursery your newborn son was placed in the wrong bassinette and then was taken to the wrong mother and breastfed. The hospital agrees to pay for the additional testing that you had done today and will also pay for the tests recommended for your son related to this incident up to one year," ABC News reported.