Regis Art

Because of my interest in Architecture, naturally, the piece that drew my attention was two models of buildings by Boern Vang. He created two models of houses, one from where he was originally from and one of his former house in America. In each model he demonstrated how the different cultures utilize light and how the houses are laid out. It was very intriguing to see the differences between the two. It was also interesting in the way he captured this difference. Instead of making a painting or drawing, he choose to use actual models. This three dimensional piece is extremely effective in portraying the ideas that the artist wanted to get across.

Nash Gallery

One specific piece of art that caught my attention was by Joseph Gilbertson. His piece of art used stee, wood, strings, plastic and electric motors to create a moving piece of art. Although during our visit to Nash the motors were not moving, the piece itself was. To consider something of this type a piece of art is absolutely brilliant! Interactive art is where its at. This piece uses movement to create a completely different aspect and a new viewing platform for art itself. I felt that a lot of time was put into this piece by merely looking at it because of its intricate design.

Second piece that caught my attention was by Drew Peterson. He used screen print on injet prints. His use of color and the way he used axis' of reflection awed me. The use of reflection over an is not a common thing to see in modern times. I'm sure for good reasons. But the way that Drew used it really pulled the piece together visually and made the whole thing flow. The bright and vibrant colors that composed the image were eye popping and really drew my attention in.

Expressionism

Abstract expressionism has its emphasis on spontaneous, automatic or subconscious creation. It is a school of painting that flourished after World War II until the early 1960s, characterized by the view that art is nonrepresentational and chiefly improvisational. One example of abstract expressionist artist is Jackson Pollock.

http://www.doobybrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/jackson-pollock-me.jpg

[Pulled from class server]

Man Animation

Final Project

Final Project - Memory

For my final project I am going to depict a childhood memory from where I lived in my hometown of Fairmont Minnesota. The memory is of me and a few friends making cardboard castles (in the summer) and snow castles (in the winter). Then we used fake weapons and defended our castles. I am going to use flash to make a quick scene of me and a few friends fighting, (of course making it more dramatic).

Video Trailer- Project 3

Minneapolis Institute of Art

Joshua Miller
Time and Interactivity
Minneapolis Institute of Arts
Friday, November 7th 2008

Portrait of Juan de Pareja, the Assistant to Velázquez
By: Salvador Dali

I took interest into this painting because during my senior year of high school in my Spanish class we studied Dali. This painting was painted with regards to the famous Spanish painter Velázquez. One of Velázquez’ most famous paintings was actually mirrored in this masterpiece by Dali. Las Meninas, Velázquez painting, is shown in Dali’s work by showing the palace in the doorway and a profile of Valásquez himself. Although all is not apparent to the common eye, it is there. Dali is one of my favorite artists because of his unique style so this artwork really caught my attention for a variety of reasons. Dali’s use of surrealism really makes the painting a marvelous thing. Dali used various elements perfectly to create an image like none other. Dali’s impressive admiration of past artists is truly unique considering most of the surrealists of the time disconcerted the influence of the past.

Frank
By: Chuck Close

Chuck’s use of amazing detail definitely prevails in this work of art. The painting is of a mans face copied from a photograph. But the surprising this is that the painting is 9 feet tall by 7 feet wide. The fine details of the painting are truly remarkable. The painting is the main focus in a rectangular white room and it takes up one whole wall. You look up and admire the sheer size of the painting then just awe at its attention to detail. Up close and personal you can see each facial hair and pores individually. Since the work of art is in black, white, and shades of gray, it really adds another dimension to the art rather than detracting from it. Because of the lack of color it makes the visual impact of the individual elements quite unique. This is definitely one extraordinary work of ‘modern’ art.

Implausible Art- Project 2

Powerpoint Presentation
Download file

Self Portrait- Project 1

Powerpoint Presentation

Download file

Andy Warhol

Joshua Miller
Andy Warhol

Andy’s style was his own unique way of expressing himself. His uses of pop art created a whole new look at art in general. I think his style was one in a million. Not many view things the same as he does. He uses colors in ways many do not even think of, but yet at the same time keeps it from being overwhelming. Andy Warhol himself was a very intriguing person. Not only had he created works of art, but also movies about repetition which coincidentally he used much of in his paintings. Repetition of color and subjects such as soup cans inversion of colors and Marilyn Monroe for examples. His style is easily identifiable which shows the impression he made on the world with his creations.

What is art?

1. the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.
2. the class of objects subject to aesthetic criteria; works of art collectively, as paintings, sculptures, or drawings: a museum of art; an art collection.

Francis Bacon

Bacon saw himself as the inventor of a method which would kindle a light in nature - "a light that would eventually disclose and bring into sight all that is most hidden and secret in the universe." This method involved the collection of data, their judicious interpretation, the carrying out of experiments, thus to learn the secrets of nature by organized observation of its regularities. Bacon's proposals had a powerful influence on the development of science in seventeenth century Europe.

Quarter Gallery Art

Museum Art

One piece of art that stood out to me was a three dimensional piece that reflected on the Holocaust. It was compromised of a box with two layers, a mirror and some color swatches. Most importantly, I feel, was the addition of a monkey covering its ears in the work. This monkey represented the saying "Hear No Evil." I felt this impacted me the most because of what the artist described it meant to him, and his/her description made an impression on me. The artist explained that the monkey represented the way in which the victims of the holocaust were forced out of their homes to leave behind their values, and were made to make their goal to be primarily survival. They could not worry about much other than themselves. And in this context comes from the concept of "Hear No Evil."

Wang

Josh Miller

Wang Qingsong

Wang Qingsong's art is very appealing to me, for the most part. He captures his messages in his artwork very clearly. The way he manipulates photos to express an opinion or feeling has a big impact on the viewer. In some of his photos he replicates old paintings and reproduces them into modern times. These are very interesting to look at and to compare and contrast. This approach to art is a fairly unique thing to do and if done right is very impressive, and Wang pulled it off. His artwork named “Commercial War? is one of my favorite pieces of Wang’s. It intrigues me because of the message it portrays. It reflects the way that businesses are in a market of war. In other words businesses are at war with each other fighting for their customers. It strikes me as surprising because I have not seen anything like this before.

Zhang

Joshua Miller

Zhang Xiaogang

Zhang’s family paintings are interesting, to sum it up. He uses different color swatches to make one of the people stand out in many of his paintings. For instance in one he has a red color overlay on the boy on his more famous pieces and in others he has splotches of yellow on the people’s faces. This is different than anything I have previously seen. For the most part, painters would omit using such vibrant colors to prevent drawing attention away from otherwise significant parts of the work. Zhang, on the other hand, does the opposite, he purposely catches the views attention and draws it to a specific place, it obviously adds some hidden meaning that is left for us to interpret. This approach to portrait paintings makes Zhang stand out as an artist to me and his work is definitely distinguishable from other artists.