Lab 13 is quite a long one. Be aware!
Some tips to help the lab run more smoothly:
- This lab has a waste treatment that takes some good amount of time. Tell them to make as less waste as possible so they'll finish on time. For example, tell them to use the well plate's lid to carry out the reactions (then they'll make less waste in first place).
- If you tell them to use the lid they might end up having less than 15 drops for titration.I don't think it's a big deal as long as they count how many drops they are using.
- The lab manual tells them to wait for 10 minutes between washes. They don't have to wait that long. They can go to the next step as soon as the white precipitate has settled down.
- I think it's a good idea to emphasize the 1:6 ratio between iodate and thiosulfate in your talk.
- When they are adding the KI crystals to the solution they should use scoopulas not their hands!!! Also tell them that it's OK if the number of crystals aren't exact.
- Remind them to use filter papers in their funnels! and I also think it's a good idea to show them how you fold a filter paper correctly.
That's all for now,
Have a good week