The trial of Ivo Sanader on charges of receiving what, Al-Jazeera describes as, $695,000 in kickbacks from an Austrian bank in 1994 was postponed Friday due to the former prime ministers failing health.

At the time of the alleged fraud, Croatia was fighting for independence from Yugoslavia, which lead to its difficulty accessing international markets, the BBC reported.

Al-Jazeera reported that Sanader used his position as deputy foreign minister to take advantage of the countries difficult financial position at the time.

Sanader looked frail in court, and went to the hospital for checkups after the hearing, Al-Jazeera reported.

Al-Jazeera reported that a judge had scheduled a new hearing for Nov. 3.

The murder trial of 21-year-oldTimothy LaMere has been delayed pending the final autopsy report.

LaMere is accused of giving a 19-year-old who later died of drug induced cardiac arrest 2C-E, a drug which the Pioneer Press reported was illegal at the time but could be purchased online.

The Pioneer Press reported that prosecutor Paul Young said a lab in Colorado will do further tests for the presence of 2C-E in the victim's body, but that the prosecution does not need to prove the victim ingested 2C-E specifically.

The Star Tribune reports that the trial that was supposed to begin Nov. 14 was put on hold by Anoka County District Judge Alan Pendleton, who scheduled another pretrial hearing Nov. 30.

Hamjatta Baba Fofana was sentenced to 90 days in jail, a $3,000 fine and two years of probation by a Ramsey County District judge. The Star Tribune reported that Fofana may be eligible to serve the time on home electronic monitoring.

Fofana pleaded guilty to criminal vehicular operation, which the Star Tribune reports was part of a plea deal which dismissed two other counts.

The Pioneer Press reported that after Fofana hit 2-year-old Rosie Ortega on, the girl's father screamed for Fofana to stop and pulled the car's emergency brake so the girl's mother could free her from under the car before Fofana drove to his nearby apartment.

Fofana's blood alcohol concentration was 0.32 an hour after the incident occurred on April 10, reported the Star Tribune.

Ortega was missing a quarter-size portion of her scalp, but was in good condition the next day, the Star Tribune reported. However, the Pioneer Press reported that she spent three days in the hospital.

Fofana had taught English as a Second Language St. Paul public schools since 1993.

Judge releases arrested protesters in Nashville

| No Comments

Occupy Nashville protesters were arrested Friday and Saturday for inhabiting a public park after the 10 p.m. curfew.

On both occasions the Night Court Magistrate Thomas Nelson released all those arrested and refused to sign the arrest warrants.

ABC News reported Nelson said that the state did not have the authority to create the curfew, and that protesters did not have enough time to get the necessary permits when arrests began less than 24 hours after the curfew was announced.

The New York Times reported that there were no new arrests made as protesters defied the curfew for a third consecutive night Saturday; however, ABC News noted that there was still a police presence.

Alfredo Astiz, who the BBC reports is also known as the "Blond Angel of Death", was found guilty of torture, murder and forced disappearance for his work at the Naval Mechanical School in Buenos Aires, known as Esma.

15 other former military and police officers who had worked at Esma were sentenced to between 18 years and life imprisonment.

During the military rule from 1976-83 approximately 5,000 prisoners were taken to Esma, where 90% were eventually killed.

The Buenos Aires Herald reported that the celebrating crowd outside the courtroom nearly caused the sentencing to be suspended.

Esma survivor Ricardo Coquet told the BBC: "We resisted. We never committed a crime. This is why this is just. They committed crimes. They are imprisoned."