SAVE THE DATE - Fall MINITEX/OCLC User Group Meetings
MINITEX/OCLC User Group meetings will be held in each of our 3 states this October. For the primary content, we have asked R2 Consulting, LLC, a firm specializing in workflow analysis and redesign for academic libraries, to present a workshop on Technical Services Workflow Analysis. We will also have time for MINITEX and OCLC updates and demos.
Creating the Capacity for Change: Transforming Library Workflows and Organization
- Tuesday, Oct. 21, 8:30-4:00, Hennepin County Library-Brookdale, Brooklyn Center, MN
- Wednesday, Oct. 22, 8:30-4:00, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND
- Thursday, Oct. 23, 8:30-4:00, Siouxland Libraries, Sioux Falls, SD
Libraries face unprecedented demands to adapt to the digital environment. New and emerging tasks related to institutional repositories, non-MARC metadata, networked resources and new generations of users place additional pressure on staffs and workflows built to handle print materials. Yet print-related workloads are not diminishing as fast as digital workloads are growing. Meanwhile, the growth of external competitors such as Google increases the need for libraries to focus on user expectations and highlight their own unique attributes.
How can libraries turn these pressures into opportunities? How can librarians adapt workflows, priorities, and organizational structures to provide those services most important to users? How can library leaders create the capacity to pursue critical new initiatives—without increasing staff? Join R2 to hear advice, both strategic and practical, drawn from their experience in workflow analysis and organizational redesign for academic libraries of all sizes and types.
Sessions will include:
- Why Workflow Redesign (An Environmental Scan) - We will review relevant trends in the information environment that are shaping new demands on libraries; topics include Predictions, Changing Users, and Trends in Collection Development, Acquisitions, and Cataloging/Discovery.
- Workflow Redesign: Principles and Practices - This section outlines R2’s own approach to conducting workflow audits, and the business principles that guide their recommendations.
- Creating Capacity in Collections, Acquisitions, Serials, E-Resources, Cataloging and Preservation - We will look at sample recommendations and outcomes in specific areas. The goal is to model the kind of thinking and interaction that will be needed by library managers to undertake a successful workflow analysis.
- MINITEX and OCLC Updates, demos, etc.
REGISTRATION FEE: $200 for the first attendee from an institution, $50 for each additional attendee from that institution. Lunch is included. Registration will be announced soon.