« Metronet Information Literacy Initiative, Round 2 | Main | Your Life Work: The Librarian »

Meebo Training Video

Nebraska Library Commission has posted a neat video showing one of their training sessions on Meebo for their staff. You can access it on blip.tv at: blip.tv/file/520398. It's about 18 minutes long but interesting if you are concidering or want to look into Meebo a little closer for your library this gives you some good information about working with the program and how to set up a MeeboMe widget (like the one on the right side of this page ->).

On a side note, there is a discussion going on on the DigRef listserv about Meebo's sound option for notifying when a patron is asking a question. I too have found this to be problematic. I have missed or responded late to a lot of mesages simply because I didn't hear the little "thunk" noise. A couple of solutions people have brought up is loading the meebo account on a Pidgin account (Pidgin replaces GAIM) and using Pidgin's sound options. Another neat option someone replied with was to embed the Meebo screen in the left sidebar of your Firefox browser. All you need to do is bookmark the meebo page then right click in your bookmark and click on properties. Check the box that says to load it in the sidebar. Then left click on the meebo bookmark and it loads in the sidebar. I just tried that and will test it out for a while to see how it works. I'm not sure what will happen when I'm not in the Firefox browser and have it minimized or in the background working on other stuff and someone comes through. But it seems pretty handy.