Assignment#7

It's finally here. The last entry in this almost two-month-long journey into the world of winter living. To recap, my sub-theme was winter driving. My final five ideas have strayed a bit from that central idea, though (you can blame my survey takers). My final five ideas:

1. Winter hat with chap stick holder
  2. Glow-in-the-dark windshield cover
  3. Easy application windshield cover
  4. Winter parking mobile phone app
  5. Jacket with expandable shelter

PUGH CHART

pugh.png

PRODUCT SELECTION, NAMING, & FINAL SKETCH
Based on the Pugh Chart above, it looks like the winter parking app would be the best idea going forward. The biggest concern in this market is an iPhone app called Parker.

ParkerWebpage.jpg

This app helps people find street and ramp parking near their current location. The app's disadvantage, though, is that it only works if it's able to read specific sensors in the road. If the expensive sensors haven't been installed, it's essentially worthless. Once a user gets out of downtown or off major roads, I could see this app's coverage becoming very spotty. With where the technology is now, I don't see it as analogous with the function of my proposed app. It could be a very large threat in the future, though.

I settled on the name Navale, as a combination of the words navigation and valet (then I dropped the 't' in valet to make the whole thing look a little less weird).

Here's my final product sketch:

navale.png

ELEVATOR PITCH

Assignment#6

For those of you who are new to this blog, my topic this semester is winter driving.

Before diving into this particular assignment, I decided to spend a little more time developing my list of ten ideas. One of the pieces of feedback that I'd received from classmates on Assignment #5 was that I should only include feasible ideas in my final list. It seemed like good advice, so I wanted to replace a few of those unfeasible ideas with more practical ones before I sent out the survey.

These are the ones I kept from Assignment #4:

1. Wintershield 9000/stretchable windshield cover

2. Glow-in-the-dark windshield cover

3. User-friendly windshield cover

4. Easy application windshield cover

5. Ice scraper/vinegar mister

6. Umbrella-style windshield cover - I know I'd identified this one as unfeasible, but I think there still might be hope for it. More research to come if it passes the marketability test.

Here's what I added:

1. Hat with chap stick holder (from Assignment #2)

2. Jacket with expandable winter shelter (from in class brainstorming session)

3. Winter street parking app (based on Assignment #3) - Basically Waze but for parking. As you pulled out of a space, you could get points for broadcasting open spaces to other users. It would also use a combination of Minneapolis winter parking rules, the location of other users, and machine learning to predict where you might be able to find an open spot at a given time.

4. Snowstorm command center app (based on Assignment #3) - This app would be targeted towards busy, working parents who might not have time to sit down and watch the news/weather every night. If inclement weather was approaching the next day, it would send the user a smartphone notification to help them plan for the storm in advance (preparing dinner the night before, planning a babysitter if necessary, etc.). With the correct permissions, the app could automatically adjust your phone alarm to wake you up earlier and help you get to work on time. If you were at work when a snowstorm hit, the app could help you communicate with family members, plan childcare pick-ups, and even help you get dinner on the table by ordering your family's favorite Domino's pizza with the press of a button.

With these ideas in hand, I went to SurveyMonkey for a little help figuring out which ones were keepers.

monkey.jpg

MARKETABLE:
I posted the survey on my Facebook wall and also to the Class of 2014 group for my degree program. After about a week, I had a sample size of 62. Here are the key results:

windshield covers.jpg

all ideas.jpg

The clear winners were the hat with the chap stick holder, the glow-in-the-dark windshield cover, the easy application windshield cover, the parking app, and the jacket with expandable shelter. There was a wide range of what people were willing to pay for these products.

willingness to pay.jpg

NOVEL:
Benchmarking
hat 2x2.jpg

glo ws 2x2.jpg

es ws 2x2.jpg

sp 2x2.jpg

jacket 2x2.jpg

Patents
Hat with chap stick holder - Hat with retractable accessory attachments

Glow-in-the-dark windshield cover - Method and apparatus for applying a coating to a surface (While that patent may not seem related to the proposed product, it's ultimately the process that allows this to happen)

Easy application windshield cover - Instant car cover

Parking app - Street parking availability estimation

Jacket with expandable shelter - Convertible jacket systems

FEASIBLE:
Hat with chap stick holder
Biggest concern - The biggest concern with this idea is that the winter hat market is fairly crowded, and a chap stick holder may not be enough to differentiate the product.

Cost estimate - I was able to find wholesale merino wool/acrylic blended yarn at $0.28 per ounce. With most winter hats (at least the style I'm looking at) coming in at around 4 oz., a hat could be made for $1.12 in raw materials. The 10x multiplier rule of thumb means this hat would probably need to sell for around $11.20

Assessment - My respondents' willingness to pay for this hat was $9.54, so it looks like this hat is really close to where it needs to be. I'll either need to find a slightly cheaper material, or be willing to sell it to wholesale/retail with a smaller markup.

Glow-in-the-dark windshield cover
Biggest concern - With how long winter nights are during winter, is there an existing glow-in-the-dark technology that could hold its glow until morning?

Cost estimate - Assuming the average windshield is 24" x 48", a windshield cover would need to cover approximately 8 square feet. I priced out polyester (common material in other windshield covers), and it looks like it comes out to about 99 cents per square foot. That would put me at $7.92 already, without factoring in magnets/fasteners, glow-in-the-dark material, and manufacturing.

Assessment - This already seems unfeasible at the current prices for polyester. Research may need to be done into other suppliers or materials.

Easy application windshield cover
Biggest concern - I think the biggest challenge with this idea is still the engineering and design aspect of it. How could it be designed so it was convenient (users didn't have to take off the side "holsters" every time they wanted to drive) while also practical (product doesn't dramatically affect the aerodynamics of the vehicle)?

Cost estimate - Same issue with the glow-in-the-dark cover. Looking at just the cost of polyester with the 10x manufacturing rule, it would already be a $79.20 product.

Assessment - Will need to find another material or a more competitive price. 10x rule might also not apply in this situation, as there's minimal manufacturing. It's really just cutting the material.

Parking app
Biggest concern - This app has a catch-22. Without users, the algorithm behind the app won't have the data it needs to be effective. Without a strong algorithm, the app won't be useful to users. A beta program may help to overcome the network externality effect.

Cost estimate - I visited http://howmuchtomakeanapp.com/, and it looks like the total cost would be $23,500 (android app + new custom interface + social login + user profiles + ratings/reviews + custom icon + at the idea stage). That's assuming that all production would be outsourced to external programmers and I wouldn't be doing any work myself.

Assessment - Considering the production cost, this app would need over 8,000 paying users at $2.87 to recoup its production costs. The majority of free Android apps are downloaded fewer than 1,000 times, so I would most likely need to look into ad banners or releasing it as an iPhone app instead (more red tape to get the app released, but iPhone users spend significantly more money than Android users on apps).

Jacket with expandable shelter
Biggest concern - Finding a way for this product to be flexible and comfortable to wear with a mini-shelter on the back could be a challenge.

Cost estimate - A single jacket will require a coat lining, interlining, outer shell, shelter fabric, and a shelter frame. Estimated cost: $65. Selling price: $650

Assessment - The price and feasibility of this jacket depends on a lot of unknowns with technology. Just putting collapsible aluminum poles on someone's back is less than ideal, but I haven't been able to find an alternate material to substitute in its place.

Assignment#5

My topic is winter driving, and the how might we statement I'd like to tackle with this blog post is "how might we make it easier for drivers prepare their cars for the morning commute?"

SCAMPER process
I thought it would be interesting to apply to SCAMPER process to windshield covers. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, here's an example:

Sno-Off1.jpg

(To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what's going on with that person's hair.)

The gist is that glass cools much more quickly than other materials. This is why ice forms on your wind shield even if there's no ice on plants or the ground nearby. This product essentially prevents the water vapor that forms ice from reaching your wind shield. Basically, you put this cover over your windshield at night, close your doors/windows over the ends to hold it in place, and take it off in the morning to an ice and snow-free windshield. A few versions even include a handy carrying case.

Some of the biggest product pain points from online reviews are that the product isn't large enough to cover the entire windshield and the suction cups (some versions of the product have these instead of the close-your-door-over-the-ends method) lose grip too easily. With that background in mind, it's time to scamper!

Substitute

• Could we replace it with a stretchier material (replace or change parts)?

• Could we make it automatically remove/apply itself (replace someone involved)?

• Could we allow people to personalize their windshield cover and sell it in different patterns, colors, and styles (change color, roughness, or sound)?

• Could we give it a cooler, branded name? I looked, and Weather Guard, Ice Shield, Winter Guard, and Winter Shield were all taken. Winter Shield was taken by a Canadian company, so maybe that one's fair game. I mean, do they even have copyright laws up there (what if I change its name)?

• Is there some kind of way to make it fun? Gamify it somehow (change my feelings or attitude towards it)? I think the idea of changing the name could apply to this one to. Instead of just being a windshield cover, people would perceive its value differently if it was seen as protecting their car in some way

substitute.jpg

Combine

• It would be interesting to combine the slap-on bracelet's ease of application and storage with the process of putting on and removing your windshield cover (combine or merge it with other objects)

combine.jpg

Adapt
Looking at some opportunities for biomimicry, I though the way this bird uses its wing for protection could possibly be applied to wind shield covers. Maybe in the way it expands out or in the shape it takes when it's fully extended?

ducklings-under-wing.jpg

Since glass cools much more quickly than most materials, I wanted to look at how winter mammals, like polar bears, kept warm in the winter. Here's what I found:

"...the polar bear has white fur made of hollow hairs, which traps and warms air. Ultra-violet light is funneled from the sun down the hairs to the bear's black skin, changing it into warmth. The dense undercoat is covered with an outer coat of long guard hairs. These help to keep the polar bear dry and warm while it is swimming." (source: http://www.ypte.org.uk/environmental/wildlife-in-winter-adaptations-for-survival/112)

A photo for reference has been included below.

Polar-Bear.jpg

I think the idea of having a hairy windshield is generally pretty freaky, so I'm going to avoid exploring this any further for now. It might provide some interesting starting points for a sub-"how might we?" question, something along the lines of "how might we make windshields more resistant to freezing water vapor?"

I was also able to find a...less great...example of how to use Mother Nature to protect your windshield.

1473052_624806264244078_1485059279_n.jpg

adapt.jpg

Magnify

• Is there a way we could make a windshield cover something useful you could use during the day? It covers your windshield at night, but could you take it with you during the day and use it as a shopping bag or cape or something (use it more often)?

• Is there a way to have it collapse or expand with the press of a button (do it faster)?

• Could we add a glow-in-the-dark strip around the perimeter of the windshield cover to make it easier to find your car in the pre-dawn hours (add extra features or value)?

magnify1.jpg

magnify2.jpg

Put to other use

• This could make a great fort covering or blanket for a little kid (how would a child use it?).

• It may be tough to help people new to the product figure out how to use it. Perhaps you could design the end flaps that are meant to go into the car with a different color, to make it clear that the user was supposed to do something different with that portion (would I figure out the product if I knew nothing about it?).

• Could be a great short-term way to protect plants from frost.

put to other use.jpg

Eliminate

• Maybe we could take the windshield cover, split it into two parts, and have it roll out of holders on the passenger and driver side windows to attach over the windshield? This would make it easier to affix and remove (split into different parts).

• Could we find a way to make the cover affix better on the sides, which would allow us to remove the suction cups (what parts can be removed)?

eliminate.jpg

Reverse/Rearrange

rearrange.jpg

TILMAG matrix idea generation
I thought the four most important attributes for a windshield cover where that it had to be flat, collapsible, weather proof, and have something that holds it in place.

table.jpg
I think the spray on plastic, umbrella, and silly putty could be the source of some interesting innovation. I feel like one of the difficulties of using a wind shield cover is that it can be difficult to find an elegant way to roll up and store it every morning. These three options would provide different ways to remove or collapse your wind shield cover.

I think cinder block wins (loses?) points for least elegant solution.

tilmag1.jpg

tilmag2.jpg

tilmag3.jpg

Final ideas
Since I wasn't able to conduct a brainstorming last week, let's just jump to the final 10 ideas.
substitute.jpg
all green.png

combine.jpg
right x.png

adapt.jpg
novel.png

magnify1.jpg
all green.png

magnify2.jpg
novel.png

put to other use.jpg
notnovel.png

eliminate.jpg
all green.png

rearrange.jpg
all green.png

tilmag1.jpg
right x.png

tilmag2.jpg
novel.png

Assignment#4

Well, despite my best efforts, I was unable to get four classmates in a room at the same time for an entire hour last week. I don't know if I should blame family commitments or the fact that a majority of my classmates are going through full-time job recruitment at the moment, but the bottom line is I wasn't able to hold my brainstorming session. What follows is my best attempt at partial credit.

First, my 'how might we' statements. Here's how I modified my problem statements from last week:

1. How might we make it easier to find places to park in the winter?
  2. How might we make it easier for people to plan their evenings around bad weather?

Since I wasn't able to hold the brainstorming session, I also wasn't able to play my new improv game. The game I would've played was a 'yes and' form of pictionary. The idea was one person would start out drawing something. After 15 seconds, this person would pass the note card to the person on his or her left. The new artist would then have to 'yes and' the original drawing by making an addition to the note card. To make sure the energy stayed high and everyone felt involved, each artist making an addition would only have 5 seconds to draw something before having to pass again. The only part that really comes from pictionary is that people would be drawing images quickly in front of a group.

I liked this idea because it would've gotten people's drawing muscles warmed up, gotten them comfortable putting their quickly drawn images in front of the group, and gotten the group used to accepting ideas from others.

Assignment#3

So the theme I chose/was assigned was winter driving. The first thing I'd need to answer, before I even thought about research, was "what is winter driving?". Is it just the physical act of driving in the winter (getting from point A to point B)? Or is it the entire experience of owning and using a car in the winter (so it would include stuff like scrapping ice off your windshield in the morning, snow emergencies, and so on)?

I don't know if this is a cop out, but I decided to focus on both. I thought it would maximize the number of pain points and opportunities that I'd be able to explore over the last couple of weeks of the class. So, with that in mind, let's dive into the research.

Secondary research:
I ran into one hurdle right away--we still haven't had much snow yet this winter in Minnesota. Observation and experience were essentially out the window. What I decided to do instead was secondary research on winter driving statistics and any winter driving user modifications or adaptations already in use.

Quantitative research
The first place I went was to the U.S Department of Transportation's website to learn about the impact of weather on road conditions (http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/weather/q1_roadimpact.htm). The most surprising piece of data I found was that 75% of all weather-related crashes--and 77% of all weather-related fatalities--were caused by wet pavement and rain conditions, NOT snow. Intuitively, you'd think snowy/icy conditions would be the most dangerous condition, but the numbers say otherwise. Why? I think part of the reason rain incidents are proportionally higher is that large portions of the United States don't even receive snow, so rainy conditions are over-represented. I also think people are quicker to modify their driving behavior in snow than in other conditions.

To support that last hypothesis, here's some data DOT shared on the impact weather conditions have on traffic flow:

wd data.jpg

Wow. Those are some pretty drastic reductions when you compare the impact of rain to snow. A 64% free flow reduction for snow to just a 17% reduction for rain? DOT even estimated the impact these slowdowns have on our economy. Twenty-three percent of all non-rush hour delays are caused by snow, ice, and fog. This amounts to 544 million vehicle-hours of delay per year. To put that number in perspective, that's the hourly equivalent of over a quarter million full-time jobs in a year.

Qualitative research
Now that we have a better grasp on the numbers, I went to YouTube to add a qualitative, observational element to my research process. I wanted to see some examples of people doing some actual winter driving:

yt screen 2.jpg

yt screen.jpg

yt screen 3.jpg

I'm not sure about the social implications of that last one, but there you have it.

After immersing myself in the world of winter driving challenges, I decided to see how an expert does it.

yt screenshot.jpg

This video featured professional ice driver Andrew McKenna, who seemed like the kind of person who might know a thing or two about winter driving. He had a couple of tips on how to deal with slippery surfaces:

• Winter driving is all about weight transfer (weight is in the front when you're braking, weight is in the back when you're accelerating), so the key is having a balanced throttle. Don't stab at the gas or the brake. It has to be smooth, and should "blend in" with the movement of the car
  • Look where you want to go, not at what you want to avoid. The minute you fixate on what you think you're going to hit, you will hit it.
  • Don't panic. Look for a way around the obstacle.
  • Following distances double or triple in icy conditions.

Now that I had a pretty good picture on the actual act of driving in the winter, I wanted to look a little more into the overall experience. Doityourself.com had a number of interesting tips for winter drivers (http://www.doityourself.com/stry/winterdrivingtips#b):

• If your locks freeze in the winter, use a match or lighter to warm your key. Or put your key as far in as it will go, then burn a piece of paper near the key.
  • If you don't have an ice scraper, a kitchen spatula or the edge of a credit card can work in a pinch.
  • Wash your car's carpets and floor mats with one part vinegar, two parts water to remove salt.
  • Keep a couple of asphalt roof shingles in your trunk to provide traction in case you get stuck in the snow.

Primary research:
For the primary research portion of this assignment, I went to the Ridgedale Center to ask shoppers about their experiences driving in the winter.

One of the first people who was nice enough to speak with me was Karen. Karen is in her mid-20s, lives in the Uptown area, and commutes downtown for work. Last winter, she had to park her car outside on the street. From speaking with her, street parking was clearly the source of her biggest pain points. Every morning, she had to scrape ice off of her car windshield, which grew tiresome after 50th or 60th day in a row. It was already cold outside, and this only added to her misery.

She had also had problems keeping track of snow emergencies earlier in the year (like when they were declared, where she could park, etc.), but a friend had turned her on to the city of Minneapolis' "Parking Rules" app. He also told her how she could sign up for text message alerts. Once she had those two things squared away, snow emergencies weren't as confusing. She said they were still a hassle, though, as they made finding parking much more difficult.

Another person I spoke with was Lynda. Lynda was a 40-something mother who lives in the Minnetonka area. She commuted to Eagan for work. Since she kept her car in a garage, it sounded like she didn't share many of Karen's pain points. Her biggest issue was her commute. On the days when it snowed, it could turn her 25-minute commute into a multi-hour ordeal. Her husband worked closer to home, so fortunately someone could always be home in time for the kids, but it usually meant they'd have to order out for food (something they didn't really have the budget for) or her husband would just have to make sandwiches for dinner.

Problem statements:
Karen needs a way to find a place to park her car during snow emergencies, because driving around looking for a spot after a long day of work is exhausting.

Lynda needs a better way to adjust her family's routine when there's unforeseen bad weather, because she wants her kids to be well-fed and able to focus on their homework.

Assignment#2

So it's looking like this is going to be a class that's going to thoroughly test all of my weaknesses. The first blog assignment involved baking. This second one involves drawing. Lots of drawing. I'm starting to worry about what I'm going to have to do for the next blogs. Watchmaking? Start an urban agriculture farm? Remember to call my mom more than once a month? Let's hope not on that last one. May just have to take the 'F' there.

Getting right into the assignment for this week (and the god-awful drawings), here's the mind map I made. I decided to use just white and black for colors, as I felt those best captured the color and vibrancy of the season. Also, I only had a black pen on hand.

2013-11-04_11-22-12_222.jpg

The three sub-themes I'm going to pull from this are hats, slippery driving, and bobsleds.

Now for the first product idea. This is a book jacket with hand warmers/fingerless gloves sewn into the bottom of the jacket. It's the perfect way to keep your hands warm without having to jam them into your pockets, and doesn't require you to keep track of a loose pair of gloves.
Target market: people who do a lot of waiting a bus stops, forgetful people, people who get locked out of their homes (but somehow have a book)

2013-11-04_11-20-51_594.jpg

One of my least favorite things about winter is chapped lips. Whether they're your lips or the lips of that special someone, chapped lips don't scream "kissable." In fact, they scream something more like "I'm a grizzled sea captain who just returned from a month-long whale hunt in the Bering Strait."

Never forget to keep your lips moisturized again with this winter chapstick hat. Outfitted with a small chapstick holder on the chin strap part thing (not sure what that is actually called), this hat keeps your chapstick handy wherever you may find yourself this winter--whether in the arms of your partner or on the deck of a reeling 60-foot schooner in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Plus, it's easy to apply without even taking the chapstick out of the holster.
Target market: hat lovers, chapstick lovers, salty sea captains

2013-11-04_11-21-38_233.jpg

Nothing screams ultimate bad ass like racing an avalanche down the side of a mountain. Well, with these avalanche skis, you don't have to wait for Mother Nature to bring the avalanche to you; you can bring the noise right to Her. Take an otherwise boring trip down the mountain and turn it into an action movie so thrilling it would make even Lorenzo Lamas' heart stop. Using the patented foghorn technology, you can summon the destructive forces of nature at your whim for the ultimate life-and-death chase. Are there other skiers on the slope? Sucks for them, bro. It's every man for himself out on the black diamond.
Target market: skiers, thrill seekers

2013-11-04_11-21-07_17.jpg

You want to be a good parent right? I have bad news for you, pops. You're not until you've done everything in your power to make your daughter feel like a princess.

You bought her a pony when she was five? That helps a little bit I guess.

You dressed as a court jester last year and let her boss you around in front of your neighbor Rick at his Halloween party last year? Sorry, not there yet.

You're not a real daddy until you've turned your living room into her own personal skating rink. Well, with the At-Home Ice-Capades kit, you finally can. Simply pour the entirety of the provided product (water) over your living room floor, open all the windows, and presto. Guess who's winning daddy of the year?
Target market: real dads who are man enough to treat their daughters they way they deserve to be treated

2013-11-04_11-20-21_395.jpg

Fido's worked hard enough. How about giving him a break for once?
Target market: Most breeds of dog (border collies need not apply--it's about time those slackers pulled their own weight)

2013-11-04_11-21-17_706.jpg

You've heard of Kitten Mittens, right? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fP4emqw7O4) Well, now it's time for the next fad in feline fashion: the Kitten Balaclava. Add a sense of danger and mystery to Mr. Buttons' wardrobe with this beloved cat winter fashion accessory. Meee-OW!
Target market: hairless cats, self-conscious cats, cat burglars

2013-11-04_11-20-33_160.jpg

Without fail, the saddest part of my holiday season every year is the morning of December 23rd. Cold, sad, and alone, I laboriously scrape the ice off of my car in preparation for my commute to school or work. Oh, how badly I wish I could be home that day! While my family celebrates Festivus, I am off to work, to spend my day surrounded by Festivus deniers. As I pour my first cup of coffee in the break room, I just know my family is back home opening up the Airing of Grievances without me. When I take my first morning break, I can almost hear my dad pinning my 8-year-old sister down on our faded shag carpet in our cherished morning Feats of Strength.

With that in mind, I created what might be the perfect gift for everyone in cold weather climates who is forced to be away from home for Festivus. It's a miniature verison of the traditional Festivus aluminum pole with a retractable ice scraper. Now you can clear off your windshield AND take a little piece of Festivus into work with you every December 23rd.
Target market: People with cars, people tired of the commercialism of the other major winter holidays

2013-11-04_11-21-29_22.jpg

We can all agree that snuggies are the perfect invention. If they do have one flaw, and this is a BIG "if", it's that you can't really wear them out in public without getting that look. You know the look I'm talking about. The "has-this-guy-given-up-on-life" look. It's almost as bad as the "I-wonder-how-many-meals-in-a-row-that-guy-has-eaten-Hot-Pockets" look snuggies get from time to time. Both of them a very common for out-of-the-house snuggie wearers, and it almost makes it impossible to enjoy the comfortable, warm embrace this 21st Century man's best friend.

Worry no longer, comfort lovers. Now you can wear your snuggie out in public, but instead of usual response of people shielding their children from you, you can expect laughs, high-fives, and perhaps a few phone numbers from the opposite sex (or the gender of your choice). The "OK to Wear in Public" snuggie features a picture of a Ferrari with the tagline: "My other snuggie is a Ferrari." This priceless joke draws attention to your prodigious wealth by letting everyone know that you're actually a contributing member of society, and that you have the Ferrari to prove it. The "my other snuggie is a Ferrari" puts a jokey spin on the bold declaration just to let people know that even though you have money, you're pretty cool about it. You don't take yourself so seriously that you can't joke about it every once in a while.
Target market: Ferrari owners

2013-11-04_11-20-11_40.jpg

One of the worst things about cobras is that they're, like, hibernating all the time. You spend all this money on a cobra and a sweet cobra habitat with like ladders and wheels for it to play on, and it just sleeps.

Well, keep that sucker feisty and his metabolism in overdrive year-round with the cobra warmer. This compact, airplane travel-friendly (undetectable by metal detectors) tube keeps your cobra warm, active, and happy in even the coldest, bleakest months of winter. Using solar panel technology to deliver the maximum WarmDraft airflows (patent pending) to your cobra's most sensitive regions, the little guy will never even know it's winter.
Target market: amateur herpetologists, members of the American Cobra Aficionados Club (ACAC), hitmen whose signature "kill" is a cobra strike

NOTE - this product is based on the assumption that cobras hibernate in the winter and they don't just die.

2013-11-04_11-21-49_310.jpg

What's the deal with Moveable Type? I didn't know I was going to have to be a friggin' computer hacker just to tweak the background color on my blog. And why does it take hours for a posted comment to actually show up on the site? Face it, Moveable Type doesn't provide a very accessible user experience

Well, like polio and the dodo bird before it, it is time once and for all to wipe one of mankind's greatest scourges from the face of this Earth. Feast your eyes on the Movable Type Eradication Machine (MTEM). The MTEM is a heavily modified microwave. It has been customized with high-visibility glass to ensure as many people as possible can witness this historic, once-in-a-lifetime event. Just place the data storage unit containing the Moveabe Type source code into the unit, set the microwave to the "Freedom" setting, and enjoy.
Target market: every God-fearing man, woman, and child on the face of the Earth

2013-11-04_11-20-44_197.jpg

Assignment#1

This week, my job was to create a new cookie. Now, I am by no means a professional cookie chef. In fact, I am not even an amateur one. This means that my biggest constraint for this project is clearly that these cookies are expected to be edible. Baking an edible cookie is an assignment in and of itself in my case, so I'm already fighting an uphill battle here. I decided my best bet would be to leave the hard part in the hands of the internet cookie experts, and apply the creative element to the presentation.

First, to Google to find an edible recipe.

DSC_0913.JPG

This one looked like a suitable candidate.

DSC_0923.JPG

Time for a cookie baking montage!

DSC_0937.JPG
DSC_0942.JPG
DSC_0943.JPG

Here's as far as the original recipe took me. Not very creative yet.

DSC_0944.JPG

I focused the creative portion of these cookies on the way they were presented and shared. Keeping in mind that this is a new class, with a healthy number of people that have never met each other, it would be great if these cookies could act as a "social lubricant", so to speak.

First, we'll need some additional ingredients.

DSC_0950.JPG

Then, we'll have to make some tactical incisions in the original cookies...

DSC_0951.JPG

For this final result
DSC_0955.JPG

And there you have it. Match Cookies. The plain pieces all have a complementary colorful piece. It's all very yin and yang. Find someone with the matching cookie piece, and start to talk about...I don't know...cookies or something?

Unfortunately, the last step of this assignment requires me to cut the cookies up into a bunch of little pieces, but at least this should work for the one cookie I'm required to bring in whole.

Recent Comments

• dunba043: Definitely an interesting idea and a defined problem. Finding parking read more
  • crimm013: Since you don't have your video, I'll just comment on read more
  • fadne019: Great job on getting input for your evaluation. 62 people read more
  • grang074: I did not know that windshield covers were actually a read more
  • hafte004: I think you started off really strong in this post. read more
  • halve356: It was great to see your novel/useful/feasible graphics at the read more
  • ivers469: Hi Dean, I know the difficulty of getting people together. read more
  • hjalt002: Hi Dean, I notice that you keep referring to four read more
  • kami0085: Hello there, I think you did a pretty good job read more
  • joh10561: Hello, I think your style of writing the blog post read more

Recent Assets

• navale.png
  • ParkerWebpage.jpg
  • pugh.png
  • jacket 2x2.jpg
  • sp 2x2.jpg
  • es ws 2x2.jpg
  • glo ws 2x2.jpg
  • hat 2x2.jpg
  • willingness to pay.jpg
  • all ideas.jpg