Main | Learning With Technology: Using Computers as Cognitive Tools »

Hypertext and the Changing Roles of Readers

I strongly agree to Patterson’s last words that we will adapt to hypertext with as much ease or as much difficulty as we adapt to a changing larger culture. Even though there are pros and cons of whether we should use hypertext in class or not, now that it really exists and students are interested in using computers, we should adjust to the changing in order to create better instructions for students.
Hypertext changes not only students’ roles as readers but also teachers’ roles. I think teachers become facilitators, who encourage students to think without giving answers and to collect materials, and put what students do together. Especially in my country, Japan, teachers tend to “teach? knowledge, giving answers to students and students just need to memorize those answers. American students, who say their opinions and feelings more often in class, might not be able to believe it, but that is the most popular Japanese instruction. We Japanese teachers have discussed teachers’ roles as facilitators these days.
Therefore, I think using hypertext is very helpful for especially Japanese students to develop their abilities to think and construct their ideas because paper text makes students more passive than hypertext. They can’t manage it as they like. From this article, I learned some hints of teachers’ roles as facilitators in using hypertext in class.