Sesame Kale and UMN Food Day

You may have noticed that things have been kind of quiet here for a while. I was on maternity leave for a few months, but now I'm back. Huge thanks to my colleague, Kristen, for the travel posts here this summer.

One of the things I was excited to jump back into here at the U of MN was participating in UMN Food Day, which took place yesterday at Coffman Union. In addition to sampling lots of great food and meeting some really great people, I got to talk about the Kirschner Collection and hand out recipes. One of the most popular was Sesame Kale -- it was so popular, in fact, that we ran out of handouts, so I'm posting it here. Enjoy!

Sesame Kale Salad
From From Asparagus to Zucchini (2004) by the Madison Area Community Supported Agriculture Coalition

Ingredients
1 pound fresh kale (or chard, spinach or other greens)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (crush these into a powder, if desired)

Separate kale leaves from stems. Chop stems and greens. Steam stems a couple of minutes, thten add the greens and steam until just tender. Drain; let kale cool enough to handle it. Squeeze out as much water as possible. Place in serving bowl. Mix the remaining ingredients in another bowl; add to greens. Mix, chill, and serve.
Adapted from Extending the Table: A World Community Cookbook by Joetta Hendrich Schlacbach.