14 Days of Pi(e): Fresh Peach Pie

Tomorrow is the big day! If you're scrambling for ideas, trivia, etc. for your pi(e) party, www.piday.org has some good information (and pi sightings!) I only have two pies left to share with you, but you can be sure that every day is Pi(e) Day in my heart. Today's recipe is for a classic peach pie and comes from Occident/King Midas Flour, formerly of Minneapolis. I know this little book is full of good recipes because the cover is warped and I had to scrape some dried flour off of it -- the signs of a well-loved cookbook.

Occident King Midas Pie and Dessert Recipes

Fresh Peach Pie
From Occident/King Midas Pie & Dessert Recipes (1968) Peavey Flour Mills

Ingredients
1 recipe 8-inch Two Crust Pastry (recipe below)
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons corn starch
2 tablespoons water
1 cup crushed fresh peaches
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon lemon juice
4 cups sliced fresh peaches

Prepare pastry. Press 2 cups of mixture evenly and firmly into 9-inch pie pan. Combine sugars and corn starch. Stir in water, crushed peaches, salt and nutmeg. Cook, stirring constantly, until thick. Stir in lemon juice and sliced peaches. Turn into pie shell. Sprinkle with remaining crust mixture. Bake at 450°F for 10 minutes, then at 375° for 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown.

Occident King Midas Flour
"Mix and Press" Two Crust Pastry

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 tablespoons cold water

Place all ingredients in large mixing bowl.
Beat at low speed until particles are fine. (Be sure there are no large particles of butter or shortening. Use a rubber spatula frequently to push mixture into beaters.)